HybridZ

LS1 Vs LS3

Guest NESS89

i was just wondering if the ls1 and the ls3 are the same, like do the headers from a ls1 fit a ls3? also has anyone used the JCI kit on a Z with a LS3? does anyone know if this kit will work in a z with a LS3? anyinfo will help. thanks

i was just wondering if the ls1 and the ls3 are the same, like do the headers from a ls1 fit a ls3? also has anyone used the JCI kit on a Z with a LS3? does anyone know if this kit will work in a z with a LS3? anyinfo will help. thanks

Well, anyone here can correct me if I am wrong... but the LS1 is a Gen3 engine, and the LS3 is a Gen4, But the the LS2 is also a Gen4 and since the JCI mount kit works for the LS2, then it should work for the LS3. Also, the header flanges are the same between the LS1,6,2,3,7. LQ9, and 4. GM was cool like that.

Well I've been around LSx motors since the begining so let me chime in.

Outward appearance of the LS family of motor as well as exhaust flanges are all similar and accesories are usually interchangible. Kinda like the Gen 1 chevy small blocks from 50s to early 90s. So for example you can put a 4.8l truck motor in your z or a bored and stroked 440ci ls7 they fit the same!

Now interenals can vary on the LSx motors. You need to run a computer if you are keeping efi that goes along with that style motor. Example 2004 and earlier LSx motor have a 24x reluctor ring on the crank. this ring is what is used by the pcm to know where the cranks current position is. Some 2005 all 2006 and up factory motors have a 58x reluctor ring on the crank. Now rings can be bought and changed at a machine shop so just beaware of what you have.

An LS3 unless bought from some of the sponsers of say LS1Tech or some other modern gm sites will have the 58x reluctor so Plan accordenly.

Just to put it out there while I'm rambling. 2005 GTO LS2 have 24x ring while 2005 corvette LS2 have a 58x ring. Truck motors I believe went to 58x in 2005 as well.

Anyhow I hope that helped a lil bit.