HybridZ

Budget Z!

Hi, I picked up my 1971 240Z about a year ago and the whole time I had it it sat in my mom's garage, since I bought it non-running. Well finally I towed it to my dad's place where he has a garage that I can use to work on it. Needless to say like most, the economy has taken it's toll and I'm pretty broke now, so here's my plan for the car (Note: I'm doing 100% of the work myself...except some welding in places that have safety in mind. I suck at welding)

-Buy a L28e or L28et motor and 5 speed..hopefully a whole parts car. Going to use whatever I can find first.

-Take out the battery tray

-Remove old engine (maybe keep it if I ever want to do a one off restoration)

-Sand the whole car and engine bay down to metal then etch primer, primer, paint, clear and pearl. (I've already got the paint. A friend of mine gave me a gallon of primer, paint, and the clear with pearl for $100 :D) It's montego blue from the 3rd generation Rx-7s.

-Remove all the suspension and sand blast everything I can get to fit in my tiny sandblaster and paint everything.

-Section the struts and weld on whatever aftermarket struts I can find a killer deal on and have some spring perches welded on and throw on some coils.

-If I have the money buy some TTT camber plates and weld those in by my dad's friend.

-Finish rust treating the interior and POR-15 the rest of the interior as well.

-Lay down some Raamatt sound deadening (Already have plenty from when I wasn't broke :/

-Buy some carpet

-Find some cheap 350z seats or something similar to put in

-Put a new hatch strut in

-Get all the electrical stuff to work

-Power windows and locks maybeee

There is plenty more, but I predict this will take me about a year to get up and running...hopefully before I go off to college.

Update: Finally removed my dash, now I can POR-15 the front half of the interior.

dopebudget005.jpg

dopebudget004.jpg

^No cancer holes :D Just a bunch of surface rust I'll treat and paint over with my POR-15 kit.

dopebudget003.jpg

I did the rear half of the car 6 months ago...mmm dust

dopebudget011.jpg

dopebudget010.jpg

^More surface rust, but I don't see any cancerous rust around the battery tray.

dopebudget020.jpg

^The dash is SUPER clean.