HybridZ

Oil Pump Pickup Mod for Rear Sump

z-ya

As stated in another post, it looks like the Z31 RB20DET oil pump pickup will be on backorder for a while. Who knows if they will make more of them. So I took the matter into my own hands, and came up with this.

I cut the front sump pickup into three pieces so that I could change the way that it contours into the oil pan. I used thin wall tubing on the inside of the pickup tube to make it stronger than just brazing alone. Plus it allowed me to extend the tube a little more towards the rear of the engine. I don't have a TIG welder, and I'm good at brazing and soldering, so this is how it turned out:

PB280001.jpg

PB280002.jpg

PB280003.jpg

PB280004.jpg

Took me about 2 hours to make it. A nice after Thanksgiving Day project. Know to eat some turkey!

Pete

looks great. I would have no problem sporting one of those if I needed one!

I bet that thing would not break with the insert tubes, and it looks like a clean modification.

would it be just as effective as long as the inserts that are in there were present, even if MIG'd?

I'm not sure how hard that steel is to weld. never tried.

looks great. I would have no problem sporting one of those if I needed one!

I bet that thing would not break with the insert tubes, and it looks like a clean modification.

would it be just as effective as long as the inserts are in there were present, even if MIG'd?

I'm not sure how hard that steel is hard to weld. never tried.

I brazed it because I stink at welding, and there can't be leaks or the oil pump will suck air. Brazing is like soldering, but with a lot more heat.

If you were REALLY good at MIG welding it might work. TIG would be best.

I brazed it because I stink at welding, and there can't be leaks or the oil pump will suck air. Brazing is like soldering, but with a lot more heat.

If you were REALLY good at MIG welding it might work. TIG would be best.

meh! brazing works for me! looks like something i would have fun trying.