HybridZ

car won't start..help

Guest dankinzle

Guest dankinzle

Sup, I'm finished putting my engine in, but I can't get the darn thing to start. I've checked for spark and it sparks pretty nice, I've got gas going into the engine. The only sound the car makes when I turn it over is this bloop sound maybe once, and I don't even get it every time I try to start the car. On the cap of an hei, the firing order has 7 and 2 around where you plug the C+ gnd and B- right with odd cylinders on the drivers side? I am about to go crazy. Any ideas?

Thanks,

If you have compression and fuel, the timing might be off 180 degrees. Make sure that you have #1 cylinder finishing on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke when finding TDC for the distributor (rotor) orientation - the intake valve should just be closing when the piston is coming up to TDC after compression.

7 and 2 near the battery connection on the HEI is correct.

Guest Anonymous

As Pete said, make sure its on the compression stroke. Have someone bump it while you put your thumb over it and you'll feel it come up on compression. If you went past it slightly, turn it back with a larger breaker bar on the dampner crank bolt until the marks line up on your dampner. See where the distributor is pointing, that is your number one. follow the firing order from there. While its true that the 7 and 2 should be where it was stated, it'll run just about anywhere (however you will have to get it right to get the timing marks to be in the right spot.) Pay close attention to the firing order, often its just a mistake of a few wires. If its not back firing out the carb or popping out of the carb (I even got some cool scary flames when I first tried running mine... icon_smile.gif ) then your probably not out 180 and its just a matter of moving the distributor a tooth or two either way. Good luck with it, I know you'll get it going, heck I had 7 and 2 reversed and it ran until I went through the firing order again.

Regards,

Lone