HybridZ

Wacky electrical problem now my car wont start help!

My Z has been having electrical problems for the last week and now won't start. I'm checking all the wiring and any ideas would really help!

When I turn the ignition on, the engine won't turn over and the positive battery terminal starts sizzling! I diagnosed and replaced a bad alternator and that didn't fix the problem.

Last week, I noticed a relay would start clicking on and off as I was driving. It would click erratically and overheat. The relay is next to the fuse box. It's a rectangular relay about 1.5 inches long, 1 inch high, and 1 inch deep. It has 4 wires that are soldered onto it. I havent been able to identify what the relay does and I think it might be the culprit.

In spite of the clicking, everything seemed to be working (headlights, turn signals, radio, dome light)

Any ideas? What should I be looking at on my car?

Background on the car:

I have a 1974 260z with a 280 engine and accel coil. It has the original alternator as it currently uses and external voltage regulator. The car has had a few electrical quirks I've been living with - the horn doesn't work, there is a lot of interference when i turn on the radio, especially when I shift into reverse. It also has an intermittent starting issue, where every once in a while, I turn the ignition, hear a click, but nothing happens. Generally within 30 seconds of this issue the car starts up fine.

note: it was raining before the problems started and I don't know if this was part of the cause

Hi first off if you battery terminal is "sizzling" then it's got a very bad connection that would be my first port of call make sure both terminals are clean and not able to be twisted on the post of the battery by hand. the click with the starter every now and then will be a few things connection between starter, the starter it's self of the ignition barrel not providing enough amps to trigger the starter motor.

thanks

The car runs great now. Something is going on with when the alternator starts kicking in because some times when I start the car the amp meter will show a drain on the battery and then once I rev it past 3500 the needle shoots in the other direction and all my lights get really bright.

I'm just happy to be rolling

Hi

whats happning here is you should have a main battery positive that you have got hooked up but have you hooked up the warning light

this bring the alternator onto chargeing alot quicker other wise it needs alot of revs to self excite as they call it so is the warning light hooked up??

thanks