HybridZ

'76 280z

I'm rebuilding this car..........from the rust up. Not sure of the history, but I found it sitting in a field in North Pole Alaska, that's where I live. I'll add pix tomorrow and update progress after that. Flintstone mobile though, floor pans are gone, frame rails too......for the most part, fiberglass front fenders I found out after I got it in the garage and started to tear it apart. She is basically stripper down now. This will be my third rebuild. First one was a '71 240, really nice car I drove around Seattle for a number of years. Sold that and got a '72 when I hit Alaska. Mostly done, straight. I rebuilt the engine with ztherapy carbs, header, monza exhaust, total interior, paint, suspension, pretty much the whole deal. I sure like the carburated engines, but I'm trying the '76 with FI now..........I traded that for an airboat last summer. Airboat is worth $14k.....both of us were really happy........Now I have the '76, paid $200 for it.

Ok, found the camera, so tomorrow after work I'll shoot some pix.

So, got the engine bay painted black.

Engine on the stand and torn apart. The guy I bought the car from said he had the engine rebuilt, then it quit running........so he just let it sit for years. I found two main bearings were spun, and stacked both of them. The crank was .035 bent, jounals could be ground, but nobody up here can straighten a crank. So, I got a Crank from Challenger, who is a member here. Block is good but needs to go .010 over. Engine is coming later, I'm addressing that body and interior now.

Got the left rocker replaced, along with the dogleg. Also patched several holes in the front fender wells. Waiting on Rust Bullet so I can paint the front fender wells. Next is the driver's floor pan, totally gone along with 3/4 of the frame rail. I am making the floor pans myself. I have a 24" brake so I think I can do it.

Anyway, if this gets boring for everyone I'll quit with the updates, but it should be interesting when I get the pix loaded.