HybridZ

Dynomation, DynoSim, or Desktop Dyno software?

Filmjay

There are only a couple threads that even mention these programs.

So, I was wondering about their accuracy and reliability....or if they're even worth it.

Last time I paid more than $100 for software, it was putting Vista on a new PC I built. That, and Photoshop. But photoshop has paid for itself in that I make money off of it.

Dynomation is $400 and comes with CamDisk 8($50).

DynoSim5 is $100.

Then there's the good ol' Desktop Dyno 5...$50.

So would anyone have any recommendations? I'm not a pro engine builder. But, I love to bench race. :) And I would just like to compare components before I plunk down a ton of cash...without bugging the heck out of Grumpy all the time. :D

I'm thinking DynoSim5 w/ ProTools. But there are a few key features in Dynomation that I'd like to have handy...namely Intake/Exhaust Pressure analyzation and Intake/Exhaust Runner Modeling...but damn, that's 400 clams.

Thanks,

I don't know anything about the first 2 options. I think I used dektop dyno, or dyno2000 or something before. Not impressed.

I have seen results from Ricardo Wave, and they have been dead nuts on. like, within 2 hp, and the curves match exactly. Those were not easy reults to get though, it takes alot of work to make it accurate. That software is probably quite a bit more expensive. From a quick google, Dynomation seems like it can do some of that stuff. Intake/exhaust harmonics are where its all at, and can make a way bigger difference than you might realize on power curves.

What made a huge difference in our Formula SAE's engine package was Wave's ability to calculate the ideal lengths of the exhaust steps. You can say a 4-2-1 header, specify which cylinders are connected, and then give the tubing diameters you want to use. Wave will then calculate the ideal lengths of all of those. its pretty darn cool.

DD2000 and its variations give you a great value, they are usually very good at predicting the PEAK hp/tq figures IF you put in the correct data , and don,t B.S. on the factors , but other than PEAK numbers and spotting TRENDS they leave a great deal to be desired.

http://www.auto-ware.com/software/eap/eap.htm

gives far more detailed answers but its also a great deal more complicated to use and costs 9 times as much