HybridZ

Involvement dropping a '73 4 Speed

jacob80

Hey guys, we're working on putting an L28ET into our '73 240z and we thought while we have it out, we might as well take the transmission out and have the seals replaced and transmission looked over. I was just wondering how involved this is. My concern is that the flange bolts that connect the transmission to the driveshaft are going to be a pain in the ass. What are your guys' experience with this and how hard is it to break these bolts loose? Is there anything specific we should do with the transmission once we have it out? I am also going to be replacing the insulator. Thanks!

There are no bolts that connect the transmission to the driveshaft. It's a slip-yoke. You'll need to undo the 4 bolts that connect the driveshaft to the differential, not a big deal. Replace the seals in it, and put some Redline MT-90 in it when you're done.

Are you saying we have to take out the drive shaft I order to take out the transmission? We wanted to just drop the transmission if possible. Also, how do you disconnect the the transmission at the slip yoke?

Ya, there are 4 bolts on the flange yoke at the differential. Just take them off, and the driveshaft will just pull out of the back of the transmission. Its easy, don't worry. You'll also need to remove the exhaust, the transmission mount, starter, shifter, clutch slave cylinder and all the bolts holding the bellhousing to the engine. Remove the transmission first, and make sure you have the back of the engine supported with something. It might take a few blows with a rubber mallet to get the transmission free from the engine, from there just pull it straight back about 6 inches until the input shaft is clear of the clutch and you're good to go. My Dad and I usually put a jack under the transmission to support the weight, and then we balance it on its way down. Its heavy.

You can also remove the engine and the transmission at the same time if you prefer, which might be easier as long as you have the radiator and fan and everything in front out of the way, and an engine hoist with enough capacity and travel.

To get to the front seal on the transmission, you have to remove the front-cover/throwout snout. Its 5 bolts, and if it doesn't come out easily you can thread a long bolt into the throwout arm pivot hole until it bottoms on the transmission and pushes the cover off. The seal is in there. There is also a shim for the layshaft bearing, so make sure you don't lose that.

Then engine is out, so will I need to even unbolt the driveshaft from the differential? I should just be able to unbolt the transmission crossemember, slave cyliner, and tach wires from the transmission and pull it out through the front, correct??

• 2 weeks later...