HybridZ

Any reason I can't use one of the Autometer shift-light tach

I'd prefer to use one for the extra features it has over the specifically in-dash ones, but I haven't actually seen one in real life (okay, i know, what kind of car nut am I, right? icon_cool.gif ) so I don't know about their brackets. I don't know what's involved in mounting one of the indash tachs in the Datsun dashes, but I'm assuming that the shiftlight tach can't be much harder, right? It probably just doesn't have any bracket on the back? I know it has a bracket on the bottom, but that can be removed, right? what about the shift light? can it be placed anywhere in the vehicle I want or does it have to sit right there on the tach?

Are you talking about the tach with built in lite or a completely separate lite all together? I think someone here has one with the built in, otherwise you can just mount the external one anywhere, looks kinda weird just sitting by itself on the dash though...

Owen

YES YES YES YES!!!! I had the EXACT same problem myself icon_smile.gif I didn't know if that darned bracket was easy to take off or not until I spotted one at my friend's shop. It comes right off!

I used the Phantom shift lite tach with the BIG lite stuck on the outside on a little pod. The pod is on there with good double sided tape, the mounting bracket drops right off. I switched to the smaller lite and yanked the big one off. Small lite is mounted where the VIN tag is (no holes) and I used an extension cable from Autometer to reach - you can wire this yourself if you want.

To mount in the dash I yanked the stock stuff (wing nuts in back) and then set the new one in the hole. It was loose so some double sided tape and black silicone goop (thanks Lone!) were used to mount it. Once the silicone set it was sturdy!

Lastly, I wanted peakhold AND a shift lite so... Summit sells a nice little black box that will peakhold ANY tach for about $30. I'm wiring that in too so I'll have the best of both worlds. Mounting the switch is proving to be a pain but I'll live.

I'll take a pic and post it when I get a chance. I'm waiting for Autometer to send back my speedo with an LCD now for final install and then ALL gauges will be done. Are you replacing any others while you're at it?

Lastly, be aware that you'll be removing the turn signal lites when you yank the tach. My site has pics of the LEDs I used in the steering cover. Pete and I have also discussed the wiring needed to replace the high beam and brake lite indicators on the dash, if you want to replace the speedo' and keep those too you'll want to read up on that and ask questions. Brake and high beam are wired a bit weird - beware....

[ June 07, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]