HybridZ

Should I go with an aluminum block??

Guest Fast Frog

Guest RON JONES

Yea Rick,I wouldn't go with an alumunum block.I don't know the details,but I know there are some kind of problems that can happen,sealing being one of them.

Guest JAMIE T

I have heard stories of Aluminum blocks cracking due to being hot and getting spashed with lots of water(like going through a deep puddle). But this may be bogus info since Land Rovers have used Aluminum blocks for ages. My Northstar is all aluminum, but it has some pretty trick gaskets. They really worked the bugs out of these things.

Jamie

Deathstar Z

Guest Anonymous

I think if you drove it into a icy creek, then yeah it'd probably have an issue, a little water from a puddle is probably going to evaporate on the hot block being as its heat source is greater than the small amount of cold water.

I suspect as you all have mentioned its sealing and the reason might be disimilar metals heating and cooling can do some rather strange things.

I know they had issues decades ago with aluminum engine blocks and the steel sleeves getting loose or cracking. I had thought those were resolved with engines like the LS1?

Regards,

Lone

Fast Frog, why not get the LS1 engine kit from GM Performance? $5659.95 gets you a NEW LS1 rated at 320hp/345Ft/Ibs, comes with injectors, manifolds, flexplate, ECM, wiring harness and warranty! There is alot of HP stuff now available for the LS1. Food for thought. icon_smile.gif Checkout www.paceparts.com/ under crate engines.

Mark

Guest Fast Frog

I've heard rumblings from a few sources that going with an alum block together with alum components may not be the best setup. Aside from the cost($4000+), anybody know why?? Or is what I'm hearing just BS?

Rick

• Administrators

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the big problem with the Al SBC blocks was that they sufferd from core shift really bad and were pretty much toast after about 10k miles of street use.

Dan