HybridZ

transmissions?

Guest 400 ci 280z

Guest 400 ci 280z

with my pontiac engine i needed to decide on what trans to use. well i want to keep a manual trans instead of an auto. the problem i run into is that the only 5 speed strong enough is the tremecs (that i know of), so that leaves me with a muncie or the ST10. the problem with this is that since i will be driving this on the highway the 4 speeds will make me run at 3500-3700rpm's depending on what gearing i use in the rear. i guess my question is what 5 speed is there that will handle the abuse i will give it or is there a way to still use the 4 speed but somehow drop the rpm's, and how much will it cost? thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running into the same problem. Can't find a t5 around these parts, and four speeds put my revs too high. I think your only options are to either go with a tremec or t56, or change the ratio in your rear end to a 3.36 or something. I'm trying to find a 3.36 diff now, but not having any luck at that, either. Anyone know of a car that these definitely came out of? Most of the cars at the pick n pull are on the ground with no wheels, can't really turn anything to determine ratios.... thanks guys

Bill

Hey Guys,

There is another overdrive trans out there that will take more torque than a T5. In the mid 1980s Chevy contracted with New Process (MOPAR) to build a modified version of their A833 four speed . This trans (A833) was the standard four speed for many years on mopar products.

The ratios for the Chevy vversion are 3.09/1 1.67/1 1.0/1 .72/1 . This trans uses an external shifter but it lines up nicely in the tunnel right near the left hand side.

You can find these in many mid 80s pickups both half ton and three quarter ton. I found mine on E-bay and have less than $225 invested. Bought an overhaul kit from STICK ONLY in California after seeing an article they published in popular hot rodding. This thing is built well.

Dennis

cheers.gif

Guest greimann

The R200 3.36 gearset was available on the '79 Deluxe model (not the GL which was a 3.7). The GL models are the Grand Luxury models with electric windows and other electric goodies. The Deluxe models did not have electric windows. I don't know about previous years, if it was available at all.