HybridZ

280z heater problem and 280zx turbo motor problem

so i have 2 problems and decided to put them in one post...

first....im helping my buddy fix it 280z's heater....we fixed all the vacuum lines and cleaned the connections for the blower motor and what do you know it worked...but when you turn it on you only get heat out of the defroster vents but when you turn the heat on for the front vents it comes out cold....could this be the flap not working? and is that flap opened with a vacuum diagram?

second....i recently got a 280zx turbo and it has a slight motor problem.....when ever you turn it on it sounds like my 240z with carbs and it backfires from the intake....whenever you drive it, it only drives about 4 miles then overloads it self with gas...but ive taken the injectors off idividually and checked to see if any of them were leaking when i put fuel pressure to them and they dont...the motor has excellent compression and the turbo is perfect....i havent checked the timing yet but the timing hasnt been touched so i doubt thats it....my guess was the tps or the afm but i dont know yet.....i just thought id post it while im fixing it just to see if anyone had anything like it

so ive checked everything electric wise and everythings good....im gonna get my injectors flow tested some time soon....i also thought about having a stuck valve....im pretty sure it has hydrolic lifters....whats the best way to check if the valves are stuck....and were could i get the kit to put in solid lifters cause i have a set off a p90?

anyone know about the heater problem in the 280z?

no then the valves arent getting stuck then b/c has good compression and the valve train doesnt make noise.....well i wont be able to work on it again until wednesday so keep the ideas coming...thanks

oh and um last time i messed with it it wouldnt stay idleing and it had some sputtering....if you rev'd it to 2000 rpms then it was fine but anything under that and it would start to sputter more and more until it died....it smells of gas horibley but it backfires through the intake only which i thought it meant that it was lean? it honestly acts like its getting to much gas then floods its self out?

according to the repair manual "intake backfire" is caused by improper ignition timing, or a defective EGR component, or defective TAC vacum motor or valve.? i have a 77 w/an L28 and all my starting problems have been due to a bad pick-up coil, and a loose fuse link. my symptoms for the pick up coil have been. shuting down when norm temp is reached2 not starting at all.or just running for a few minutes then just shuting down. and also cranking with no results. and for the fuse it has been gagues not working when you turn the key.

it starts fine it just wont idle.....timing was my next plan of attack but i dont have a timing light....and dont really have the money to rent one right now...ill just have to do it by hear for now....but i didnt think about the egr being bad....i have another one and ill switch it out....ive already checked the coil...but i forgot about the ignitor....could it cause this also? and ive checked most of all the fuses and cleaned alot of connections including the ecu connections

im completely lost on the 280z's heater problem....if anyone can help?

as for the turbo car...i went and messed with it today...i thought i had plans but they got cancled....i done some reseach and found out the production month and year was 8/81....the previous owner said it was a 83 with a manual guage swap...and i found the door identification plate underneath the carpet.....

so i checked the distributor and of coarse it was wrong...the rotor button was forced on in a different direction....changed that cleaned all the connections got new plugs and wires...and it fired up.....bad thing is now that it will idle great...but when you hit the gas any and i mean any it starts choking out and jumping around horribley....and after you release the gas it almost dies then goes back to normal idle....i was trying to play with it a little and it was backfiring out of the exhuast now....it backfired so hard one time little pieces of crud started to come out of the tailpipe....my hope is that its the muffler and not the turbo.....but it stopped after a minute....but at least it idles now so i can get it warm and mess with it then.....does anyone have any suggestions on what to mess with next? im really stumpped the only thing i havent done is replace the vacuum lines but i have cut the hard ends off of every one of them and reconected them so that they actually seal and then checked for leaks with some carb cleaner....didnt find any...oh and i swaped the egr valve with one i know thats good with no luck....and also switched the coil out with a blaster 2 i had lying around and it didnt do anything either

i forgot one big detail....whenever i was giving the turbo car gas it wouldnt go any higher than 1700-2000 rpms spitting and sputtering and missing but everytime i got it up that high i could hear the turbo spooling up and reading about 3-5lbs (and this while in "park".....is this bad b/c i was pretty sure turbo's dont spool up until 2500-3000 rpm under load....depending on there size?

the fuel pressure is perfect also replaced the fpr and filter...cause i had an extra and also cleaned the injectors and checked for leaking ones...none of them are leaking...no i havent checked the timing with a light yet...on the other hand the firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-1 counterclockwise and isnt #1 suppost to be the one facing the driver side fender...(the one closest to you if your looking directly at the engine bay on the drivers side?) becuase this cars #1 was the one closest to the motor and when i put the wires on that way it wouldnt fire but when i put them where i thought it should be it fired up? also is the turbo suppost to spool up to 3-5 lbs. when the car is in park and rps are inbetween 1700-2000? i thought a turbo wouldnt spool up but underload....what would cause this?