HybridZ

s30/s130 Direct Swaps

white_raven

the most direct swaps are the L-series...l20, l24, l26, l28 l28et....but in my opinion the next closest thing would be the rb series....but this still requires some custom work...like driveshaft and mounting...but if you cant custom make mounts or a driveshaft....then there are tons of companys who make custom mounts, customs driveshafts, and custom wiring...for almost any motor swap into these cars...

no, I think he means, "what, other than the L-series motor, interchanges between the S30 and S130?"

off the top of my head, transmission, driveshaft, halfshafts, differential.... and wheels. I don't think the brakes fit directly (not without special bracketry from other ultra rare vehicles or, say, $200) the seats probably could work easily enough (?)

but the answer is not much. Maybe a few minor mechanical parts, but I am pretty sure even the radiators were wholly different.

first off thanks for the help!

lol i just i should have defined it more...i was asking about different engine swaps into the s30 and s130 chassis...

i would like to stay with something either L6 or 4 cylinder

but it seems to me that the l28et or an rb series motor will be the best bet..i'm trying to keep the balance of the car but still get good reliable power...

a little bit of custom work is not a big deal...custom mounts, driveshaft, and wiring if i did an RB, now i know the reliability and power out put of the Rb (been around them a bit)

but i'm extremely new to the whole L series motors, but from what i've read so far the L28et seems to be the best for power and reliability...

are they capable of 250 - 300whp reliably? without having to do a full race build, and replacing all interenals with racing parts...etc

i guess what i'm looking for is something around 250+whp with daily driver reliability for the better price while still attempting to maintain the balance these cars have...what do you guys think would be better at that a RB or the L28et?

also just a curious questions...is there a lot of custom work with a fj20et swap?

Thanks again!

and that would probably be much cheaper then swapping in a RB! hmm ok this is a big help! and now i know my options are open in I wanna step it up and swap a rb...now I am off to find a turbo s30 or s130! and i'm actually glad to go with a l28et....i like the nostalgia of that engine! anyways!

also what year was the best l28et? i was reading the 1980+ cuz they had hydraulic lifters, bigger oil pump, etc? idk let me know

Thanks!

the main difference is that in the early models the cas is on the crank pulley and on the 82-83 the cas is in the distributor....the bigger oil pump was in automatic turbo cars....and in my opinion i would stay away from hydraulic lifters unless you know that they are in good condition...because they are really hard to find and if you do they are big money...most say that you can't use them in high hp motor becuase of valve float and the fact that they are almost 30 years old, but there are a couple ppl on this forum that run them in high hp cars....but they do make a kit so you can swap the solid lifters for the hydraulic ones....id say get what you can cause you can always swap in the big oil pump and solid to hyro lifters...ect, ect.....because its hard enough to find one in exeptable running condition

99% of all L-6s had solid lifters. SOME cylinder heads with the "p90a" casting had hydraulic lifters. The conventional wisdom is that the P90a head had HLAs and the rest were solid.. but many have encountered P90A heads with solid lifters, and many have also converted P90a heads to solid lifters. Its an easy thing to do, and the hydro lifters are no longer available so we basically no longer have much hydraulic option for our lash adjustment anymore.