HybridZ

can you test a 81 cas?

Iowa280zx

I have a 81 turbo / wiring in my 83 280zx and don't have spark.

I've narrowed it down to the front mount cas or my ignitor and was wondering if it was possible to test these?

at the moment i'm getting power to everything, have power to the coil (+ and - not sure if both should be showing power) and no spark.

I've searched alot and never really found much on the 81 cas's.

thanks

everything is tight and i just replaced the rotor / cap. it's getting power to the dizzy but it's not sparking.

i'm assuming it's the cas or ignitor.

I had this exact problem. Mine is a 1980 NA, but I had the no spark issue.

First thing first: Take the dizzy out. Make sure it's connected to the coil. Now run it with a power drill until it sparks. If it doesn't spark until over 1000 RPM or so, it's probably a borked pickup coil or reluctor or other such part. Check the pickup coil, and check the reluctor airgap. If poth of these are fine, then it could be the ignition module, so you'll need to test that. If it's none of these, I dunno what to say.

I spent 4 weeks making myself crazy with no spark until I found the airgap specs. I would get a spark if I cranked with no plugs in the cylinders, but no spark if the engine had compression. Thats what led me to run my battery of tests on the dizzy.

yep. the n/a uses the reluctor inside the dizzy housing. the 81 zxt uses a crank trigger setup. similar to the setups used in megasquirt.

when i was swapping my car late last summer. i had the same issue. now i find myself in a megasquirt conversion, go figgure. good luck hope you find it.