HybridZ

HP with a R180?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is anyone here running high horsepower with a R180 diff? Im just wondering what the cutoff is, the JTR manual seems to indicate the R180 will do just fine. Thanks!

SS,

It's not really a matter of HP, but rather a matter of how hard you try to put it (HP) to the ground.

I would imagine a R180 would last 'forever' if you were putting 600hp down but not launching hard. If you go easy, it will last. You could break it with 200hp by dropping the clutch hard on launches.

HTH

Tim

How high is high? Other factors are auto or manual tranny. Gonna race or just cruise? Traction can make a difference as well. Indications are that if you have no more than 275-300 hp with stock tires and don't abuse it it should be fine.

When I get my car out of paint jail I plan to test my R180 hard. I have an R200 waiting just in case. I have about 250 hp 300 lbs/ft torque, T5 tranny, and wide (305/50/15) rear tires. Results to follow.

Guest Anonymous

Yup, what Tim and Dan said. I recently replaced my r180 for a r200 since I was changing gear ratios anyway and plan to go to a bigger wheel/tire combo, but the 180 was holding up fine spinning on the street with 215x60x14 street tires. What you lack in traction you make-up with fun bonk.gif

I own a 1971 240Z with a 400hp sbc/700r4 combo.

I now have a r200 rear because my r180 grenaded :mad: on my first launch at Ennis Tx. 1/4 mile track.

They are weak and they suck in my opinion,but if you baby it you may be ok?

Mike