HybridZ

Home Audio

clint78z

Overall I couldn't be happier with the system, a couple of notes after putting some listening time in. I have a couple of CD's that were favorites, they sound good on the system. It sounds better than most systems bought from chain stores. I wasn't aware the recording quality was below par. Then you shove in a good disc and it almost blows me away. It is almost like there is no stereo, they are playing in your living room. You can almost hear how much change they have in their pockets. Norah Jones, Tool (Laterus), Cat Stevens DVD Majikat. I have some new favorites just because of this system. The B&W's still haven't broke in after a couple of hours, needs a tad more bass. I hear this typical of these speakers. I am going to hold off on the sub until they break in, see if the mains are enough for my small room. Even at low volume everything sounds so balanced, no boomy voices or muffled instruments.

The Rotel amp is a tank at 40lbs, the features seem to be just enough. It remembers many custom settings when switching modes, how many speakers, dolby or dts, crossover ... The remote build quality is junk, but seems quite functional with macros. It seems to have more than enough current for my needs, we shall see when I get surronds hooked up.

I now have the low end of High end systems. I would encourage everyone to give this combo a test drive at a local dealer. It's not for everyone, for the money I wouldn't go any other way.

Arhh. I remember that feeling so well. It is all down hill from here mate, (or is it uphill), you now have the audio bug. You will not only be working two jobs just to pay for your Z modifications, you will now be working them to upgrade your stereo.

My music preference changed drastically after I got decent speakers. I use to listen to a lot of rock music, my favourite band was smashing pumpkins. After I got my B&Ws I realised that all my favourite CDs sounded like crap as the recording quality was so poor. Nothing like a really good quality recording.

You will find that there are a few recordings so clean that it doesn't matter how loud you turn them up, it can still be listened too comfortably.

Lastly, don't turn your amp off, just mute it, unless your not going to listen for a good week, my Electrocompaniet hasn't been turned off in a good 6 months. And give stereo a run for a while. I was so impressed with how a well recorded stereo track could sound (Even on movies) that I haven't bothered going with surrounds. In fact I upgraded from a 7 channel amp to a stereo amp. Haven't even decided if I'll do surrounds yet.

Arhh. I remember that feeling so well. It is all down hill from here mate, (or is it uphill), you now have the audio bug. You will not only be working two jobs just to pay for your Z modifications, you will now be working them to upgrade your stereo.

My music preference changed drastically after I got decent speakers. I use to listen to a lot of rock music, my favourite band was smashing pumpkins. After I got my B&Ws I realised that all my favourite CDs sounded like crap as the recording quality was so poor. Nothing like a really good quality recording.

You will find that there are a few recordings so clean that it doesn't matter how loud you turn them up, it can still be listened too comfortably.

Lastly, don't turn your amp off, just mute it, unless your not going to listen for a good week, my Electrocompaniet hasn't been turned off in a good 6 months. And give stereo a run for a while. I was so impressed with how a well recorded stereo track could sound (Even on movies) that I haven't bothered going with surrounds. In fact I upgraded from a 7 channel amp to a stereo amp. Haven't even decided if I'll do surrounds yet.

So true about turning off amp,I never turn it off,ever.Only time I shut it off is when t-storms are forecast or if I am moving. Your system will sound better and last longer it you leave it on.

I ran into a bit of a snag this amp doesn't pull audio from HDMI, I didn't want to spend another $1200 bucks for the new model. I thought that my TV would pass HDMI from my laptop to the optical output on the TV then to the amp.

Little did I know that most TV's downmix this optical signal to a 2 channel optical. Why even have the optical output, talk about false advertising. HDMI is way to protective, to the point of silliness. Now I have to run 2 cables, when one already has audio.

Oh well, I am always used to workarounds.

This is actually true of all electrical components and especially important if they're class A topology because they run much hotter. Of course, this is hard on the A/C in the summer time.

So true about turning off amp,I never turn it off,ever.Only time I shut it off is when t-storms are forecast or if I am moving. Your system will sound better and last longer it you leave it on.

I still can't believe the 685's are that price, $700 isn't exactly cheap in my book. However they seem like a steal for the sound they produce. Sorry can't compare them to many other's, listened to Focales and didn't like them at all, may have been the Pioneer amp that was completely wrong setup???