HybridZ

Islanddozer`s 1980 280zx Build

islanddozer

Hi all! I live in Victoria, BC, Canada. I have had this car since 1991. I got it for $500 with 225,000 kms on her. Always been a Chevy Pick-up kinda guy so to have a japaneese car in my garage took some getting used to. Love the idea of 4 wheel susspension and disc brakes. Great for logging road rides :0)

I rebuilt the original motor and addressed some rust issues painted it and drove her for another 200,000 kms till she started to let me know it`s time for another makeover. I started in Nov.08 by removing the engine for a l28et change over. I was recovering from ear surgery so I had alot time on my hands. I spent a good hundred hours sandblasting parts. Then spent even more time port and polishing head, intake and tb.

rustred2hires_thumb.jpg

rustred3hires_thumb.jpg

rustredhires_thumb.jpg

Throughout the years I have replaced and modified the car. At first I wanted to keep it stock, But as it got older parts started to get harder to find and more expensive to keep stock. I had a buddy in the towing buisness and told him to keep an eye out for me for 280zx's. He called me up and had 2 that were abandoned on the road. Both 1981 turboz's for $500 delivered. I already had 2 1981 na 280's in parts in my shop. Had to get hold of another buddy up island in ladysmith to store some up there. Between my buddy and I we own 14 1979-1983 280zx's. 1 - 1970 240z serial #000149. It has been in a barn for 20 years.

Best thing I ever did was get rid of the ac. Then replaced the rear end from a standard ( r200 I guess) on her original 3 speed auto. The car just launched at a stop but hiway speeds made her rev higher than I wanted.

Funny thing, I spent alot of time rebuilding the whole rear end, bushings, bearings, susspension and brakes. The next day my wife takes it for a dinner meeting. She parks in a parkade on a hill and puts e-brake on. She had a couple glasses of wine forgets to put e-brake down and drives. She had the back end on fire and continued to drive home. I get home to see 2 melted tires and all the work I just completed in a burned mess. She then tells me she wondered if there is something wrong the car because "IT HAS NO POWER" !!!!!!:mad:

Needless to say she will only see the steering wheel from the passenger side:grin: