HybridZ

RPM Shift lights

JDG Gt4

Has anybody configured the RPM Shift lights from one of the spare ignition outputs?

Would I be right in assuming that you just connect at light (probably LED) to the ignition output and put a limiting resistor in assuming the output is 12 or 13.5V?

Cheers

Ben

Ben, I've done this exact thing when I had spare channels and you are on track. You install a limiting resistor in-line to drop the voltage from 12/13.5 volts to the forward voltage of the LED.

I am also using Wolf to control indicator LEDs on spare channels using the same idea (and limiting resistors):

1) Methanol Injector 1 Spraying

2) Methanol Injector 2 Spraying

3) Coolant Temp greater than 200 degrees

4) Boost at 15 psi

5) Boost at 20 psi

6) Methanol Pressure greater than 90 psi

• Administrators
Has anybody configured the RPM Shift lights from one of the spare ignition outputs?

Yup.

Would I be right in assuming that you just connect at light (probably LED) to the ignition output and put a limiting resistor in assuming the output is 12 or 13.5V?

Yes, as long as you understand a couple things...

1) the ignition outputs only pull to ground, so you'll need to provide a power source on the opposite leg. You can use 12v like you suggested, providing a properly sized resistor is used.

2) The drawback to choice #1 is potential risk of the voltage regulator going belly up, sending too much voltage to the LED (and blowing it). In my case, it would be a pain to replace a popped LED. An alternate choice is to use one of the regulated outputs on the V500. There is a spare 5v and a spare 8v power source built in for such occasions. These are regulated so you're reasonably assured a stable voltage regardless of system voltage.

• 8 months later...