HybridZ

differential ratio.

Dat260

Hi everybody.

This is my first time posting after browsing this site for over year and let me say, this site rules. rockon.gif

My first question is, can anybody confirm me that a ratio of, let say 3.90:1, means that the pinion flange or driveshaft turns 1 time for 3.9 tire revolutions or it is the other way around? The logic for me would be that you would want less driveshaft revolutions for more tire revolutions. confused2.gif

Thank You for clearing up my confusion guys ;) and I am glad to be a member. I have read so many post from you guys, I feel like I know some of you smile.gif . Dan, are you eventually going to paint your car? John how did you get the decimal number from 3.90? and please be obtuse :D .

Guest greimann

If I may jump in here. I worked with DAT260 over on Zcar.com, and since things are slow around here... BTW DAT260, good for you in cross checking information. It is always good to get a second opinion!

Gear ratios are calculated very simply by dividing the number of teeth on the driven gear, by the teeth on the drive gear. In the case of a automotive rear end, if the ring gear (driven) has 39 teeth, and the pinion (drive) has 10 teeth, 39/10 = 3.9. If you were to look at it from the other way, 10/39 = .2564.

In the case of a pulley system that has no teeth, you use the diameters instead.

Here is an animated gif I found that is kind of simple, but gives you a visual:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential3.htm