HybridZ

Newbie ?, SCARAB VS JTR anyone got an opinion?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've been stalking a V8 Z for some time. I was looking for a 240Z/350/5spd/JTR. I've come accross a nice 280Z/350/700r4 Auto/SARAB type. I know the scarab sits further forward than the JTR. Does this cause noticable handling problem? Should I buy the car with the idea of going to a JTR setup and a 5 speed? Any idea how big a deal would that be? (maybe easier to just build the 240Z?)

Guest kc6wfs

Well it's far better than starting from scratch!

It is not hard to convert to JTR from Scarab.

Moter mount adaptors and trans brace, and shorten the driveshaft.

I think thats about it.

Fortunatly all the electrical is all done.

I may have missed something but it would not be much.

There are a few here that have gone that same route.

Dave

Well, the exhaust would also have to be modified as well. Just buy the car if you like it, drive it a little, and then make a decision if you want to convert or not. The major consensus of the V8 guys on this board would be to do a JTR conversion. But for now, just enjoy the car if it works well.

David

Guest Anonymous

I agree with both Gents. Its not a huge deal to convert it to JTR, new JTR mounts, modify the exhaust and driveshaft, maybe a bit in the console depending on how that looks and your there. Everything else (with the exception of maybe running a electric fuel pump and electric fan if its not already) is there, if its a good price I would have done it that way.

And as Davy said, in the mean time drive it a bit, maybe the scarab position will be acceptable for the driving you do. If not, the move it back. Either way it'll be a powerful bunch of fun. Good luck with the decision.

Regards,

Lone

ive driven 240s-260's and 280s really hard with all kinds of suspension and motor modifications, and my lowly scarab converted z handles just like them ON THE STREET, if youre going all race, you would have to go jtr for the added weight balance it gives. i really dont notice the handling difference from stock to my setup, except ill knock straight six boots from here to albequerque. in a straight line, get outta town, but after me! icon_smile.gif now ive had too much coffee...

if you want to change it out you can, but try your best to destroy your motor while maintaining good servicing on the car, i wont change it until its justified, if its not broken.....