HybridZ

stumped....ford 9" or quaife??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

In about another week my car will be back on the road, but it still suffers from nogripatall.

I was thinking just go the quaife/cv joint route, but last friday night at the track i saw, low and behold a 260z with a 350 running 5's in the 8th on a ford 9" rear end. Ive always kept both options in mind but not considering the ford too much over the quaife.

I just want to know wether a locker will make steering into corners more difficult than an lsd, and is it too much of a hassle for bringing it out on saturday nights on the highway for some action. Im no auto-x'er by any means, but i do like the concept of making turns...

thanks,

franklin

Guest Anonymous

I believe there are other posi options for a ford besides a locker though, might be worth looking into. For hard duty drag racing, its hard to beat the 9" ford, if autox is your bag the quafe irs setup is probably a better go, find what you'll use it for more and seek out those that run that event and perhaps that'll help with your decision. Neither will be cheap, but in this case the Quafe will be cheaper (wow, whens the last time someone was able to say that?). :D

A posi rear doesn't necessarily mean it won't turn, its not like a totally spooled rear end, but it will have some handling differences you'd need to adjust to and be aware of.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Zfan: No this one was yellow with some blue.- Im in copperas cove currently(40 min. south of austin)

LoneinAZ: So going with a ford 9" would actually be more expensive than going with the quaife?? Excuse my lack of knowledge about the posi, but what exactly are you paying for?? When I asked the guy with the Z how much he paid for his rear end his response was "almost nothing i pretty much built everything on the car" And i could see that he did, nice custom cage (looked super rigid, he did a profesional job at tubbing the rear also. But i just want to know if i can get a ford rear end, and have him work on it to make it become the almighty 9"?? Im stumped, again im a noob with my lack of knowledge on rear ends.

thanks,

franklin

p.s. like i said the car wont be in any autoxing events, she'll just be taken out about every saturday night for some straight line kills. But it will be driven on the street.. so what do yall think?

Guest Anonymous

I think when all is said and done with materials the 9" will be at least as expensive. If you can get one for next to nothing great, but you'll have to create all the framework to mount it in, which means probably a 4 link system with coil overs even if its not tubbed which is what I wanted its going to be alot of work and fabrication.

If that time and fabrication skills are yours and the parts are cheap, I suppose it wouldn't cost much. My point was the quaife would fit in a stock nissan rear end without any other mods back there, the ford 9" will require what I mention above. Thats what I was talking money wise, time and what fits stock vs fabrication and reworking of the back of the car typically called backhalfing the car. For straightline stuff and if the money was there, I'd put in a 9" in a heartbeat, I may still one day, but don't have the place to do it or the cash at this juncture. :(

Good luck with it, regards,

Lone

• 1 year later...

I realize this is comparing apples to oranges, but I'd go with the Quaife. I've had a 9" with a locker in my '66 fastback that I used to race (road), and I now have a Gleason-Torson (not sure if Quaife manufactured it or not) in my Z (which I no longer race), and what little comparison I can make on it is the Quaife is more "user friendly". It's quieter and less abrupt on it's slipping action for anything other than straight line racing, but it costs a lot more than the locker. The other side of your argument is the Quaife is easier to install than the locker (9 inch), so I suspect once the 9" is finally installed, cost differnces will end up being null