HybridZ

What are you guys doing about engine mounts?

Hi all. I have an Infiniti J30 which comes with the vg30de engine. In Japan, it also came optioned with the Q45 4.5L engine. I also share the Zs tranny, and rear end, so I'm hoping that many of the parts and advice you guys have, I'll be able to use.

Are the engine mounts and tranny mounts you guys using custom, or is there a shop fabricating them?

Hi BRAAP. For an LS, of course. ;)

Currently, I'm in the "Curiosity" stage. My J's engine died at 190k miles, and have been reviewing my options and what the cost of an LS swap would take. I keep seeing the LSs on eBay. Tranny wise, not sure. J never came with a clutch pedal, so wedging one in there would be interesting. But for costs sake, I wouldn't mind sticking an auto in there....for now.

J would make an interesting sleeper, though. It has PLENTY of space for a true dual exhaust. So yeah, I'm thinking X-pipe, Borlas...muaahaahaaa :D Only thing is budget constraints ATM. :redface:

• Administrators

COOL! J-30 LSx conversion will make for a nice fun sedan. Sorta like a hotter version of the M45, and way better looking! :2thumbs:

Being as the J-30 is such a close relative to the Z-32, do you know how much difference there is between the J and Z-32 engine bays? I.e. cross-member/rack to hood clearance, firewall to rack distance, etc? Does the J-30 also share similar front suspension to the Z-32 or is it a strut front suspension?

Here's the J's engine bay. You can see I have little to almost no room to even had a clutch master cylinder on the driver's side.

Regarding the suspension, from what I know, the front suspension is from a Maxima (never really confirmed), and the rear is that funky multi-link setup from a Z32. I have the Z's engine and auto tranny. Judging from the pics I've seen of the Z32 engine bay, my shock towers seem to be a bit taller up, and seem about the same width apart.

Oh, and very nice write up on your project. You have some VERY detailed information there!

Also, I've actually thought about getting a Q45 engine, but have always figured, if I'm going to go this route, then why not just drop in an LS1

J30engine1.jpg

Hi, and welcome to the party!

BRAAP and I are both in the midst of doing lsx z32 swaps, and motor mounts are something i was contemplating on the way back from the 8 hour drive to Tennessee to pick up my LS1 :) Im definitly going to fabricate them myself, but i don't want completly solid mounts for obvious reasons. So i then thought about trying to make a mount that stays soft at idle and normal driving, but stiffens at race/hard driving. My solution was to try to make a solid mount, with a tough bladder between the mounts and motor, that is filled with non-neutonian fluid. It seems to make sense, at idle the fluid would remain, well fluid. but, as soon as you would apply moderate to hard stress on it the fluid would instantaniously solidfy, giving you the benefits of solid mount! Over the next few days i will be doing more research and maybe even try to make a prototype.

• Administrators

I just started thinking about mount options. The mount pads on the engine block and cross member mount holes is essentially a direct line up and should allow for several options regarding getting the engine mounted. The mounting of the engine will be one of the easier tasks in this conversion. :2thumbs: We will just have to be sure to build them so that they don't interfere with the exhaust manifolds/headers.

My initial thought is to utilize the Z-32 fluid filled isolator and just build the spacer that goes between the block and that, (again being sure not to crowd the exhaust manifold). I like the Z-32 fluid mounts as they allow the engine to float keeping vibrations, noise, and harshness down, yet they don’t allow the engine to "wind up" from torque during acceleration and deceleration. I distinctly remember my old 1982 Volvo Turbo Wagon and its soft mushy engine mounts. Apply throttle and you could feel the power train wind up and then unwind as you lifted. VERY annoying! These Z-32 mounts don’t exhibit that tendency.