HybridZ

T5 gone south

Guest De Schmaydee

Guest De Schmaydee

T5 went out monday on my 82zxt...(bullitt-proof?)...anyway...i see these aftermarket 5-6 speed manual transmissions...like at summitt etc...are any direct (bolt-up) replacements for a t-5.....(i have the r200 3.54 diff)......s

i have tried to bolt a 280zxt t5 belhousing to a mustang t5.front bearing carrier is bigger in diameter and doesnt fit into bell housing.not by much-you could machine the od of the bearing carrier down to fit.then use a mustang clutch disc under a 240 mm pressure plate.this is something i have thought of but havent tried yet.the 280zxt t5 has bad ratios for road race tracks.i prefer the 82-83 zx na.the new world class t5 that summit sells new has close ratios and would work nice .they are much stronger than oem nissan t5.i think the oem nissan t5 is overrated.but the drag and auto x guys like a lower 1st gear ratio.i use my car on road race tracks so i need close ratios plus a better 5th.the summit t5 would work with a 4.10 rear because of .63 5th.first is 2.95.stock mustang t5 has a 3.35 1st.my car has a stock 81 zxt engine with some tuning mods and na trans works good.but i dont drag race.bets way to break parts is drag race starts.other nissan trans problem is leaking at speedo drive.then the counter shaft bearings burn up.

Guest De Schmaydee

the world class (z-rated) t-5 looks pretty good for my application....will it "bolt right up"....i also found a place (moderndriveline)that offers a "shorten the shaft" option for $175...for the tremec...(maybe all of 'em).

...what about a t56 6-speed?.....s

nothing bolts right up.its up to you to make it work.sss510 has a t56 in his l28 turbo 510.he did use a zxt t5 bellhousing as a starting point but thats were the fun began. had a z31 t5 but sold it.it had a very long bellhousing and input shaft.many cars used t5 but they were all made to spec.the strongest t5 is the new unit sold in summit.the tremec is stronger but rumer has that it doesnt shift as good.