HybridZ

Transmission mounts

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I picked up the JTR manual and can't figure out their tranny mounts. Are they saying to mount the brackets on the floor boards? Seems dangerous to me but more than likely I'm, not understanding the instructions. Maybe somebody knows another way. By the way I'm trying to get a Small block with a turbo 350 in.

Guest Anonymous

Yep, your understanding the text correctly. 4 bolts on either side for a 3/8 x 3 inch transmission cross member. The OEM Datsun tranny mount is not much stronger but most GM trannys require one bolt. I have never heard of JTR tranny cross member failure unless it was attached to rust. Keep in mind the tranny cross meember was designed to properly align and phase the drive line. Lock all those tranny cross member grade 8 bolts down to the floorboard with a big chunk of bar stock per side with 4 holes drilled as a single washer on the inside compartment... it ain't going no where!

Guest Anonymous

To make it a bit stronger its not a bad idea to use a plate on the inside as well (like maybe 4x4 or whatever will cover the bolt pattern can't recall exactly). That way it'll have to yank a 4x4 plate through the floor and not just 4 bolts with washers. Just an idea of course, it seemed to make better sense to me that way. (call me paranoid.. :rolleyes: ).

Regards,

Lone

Ps: Lol, I really need to read the post better, that was mentioned right above this post, duh... :D

It's not so bad. Get your motor in the car, line it up, pound the hell out of the transmission tunnel until you can fit the crossmember against the floorboards, drill some holes, make some plates for the top, and bolt it all together. Of course, it'll probably take two or three days to do it nicely, so it's not as easy as I make it out to be ;) but it's very simple. It's just a curved steel plate that bolts up to the bottom of the floorboards.

I am planning to bolt up my tranny this weekend. I had really rusty floorboards. I sand blasted and then had them coated and filled with zinc(It's called a rust buster system and it's pretty cool, but that is a different post). Anyway, the mounts inside bolt to the JTR mounts with 4 bolts as called for in the manual, but instead of being a flat bar they will extend up the trans tunnel 6-8 inches and I am going to put four bolts in the side of the tunnel. I figure that will give me both lateral and hoizontal support. Any one have an opinion on doing it this way?

That sounds like how others have made their own design. I like the sound of it.

I had the JTR mount for many years after making it in a press. I decided to go ahead and use it. Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I used 3/16" plate on the top of the floor, some 1"x1/8" bar in front and behind it to create part of a "box" and connected it to the tunnel and my subframe connectors. I used 7/16" bolts through the plates and the mount, that are a snug fit, so it helps tie the car together a bit more:

coveredtunnelleft3s.jpg

(Click for larger version)

trannyxmembermount1s.jpg

(Click for larger version)