HybridZ

Bear's 71 240z Rebuild

Got some free time to work on the Z the last 2 weekends.

Last weekend I didn't do much, just removed the seats and looked around at the car (getting an idea of things I need to start purchasing).

P2070001.jpg

P2070002.jpg

P2070003.jpg

Floor pans are in surprisingly good shape, probably going to be stripping it down to bare metal to make sure there is no rust, but right now it looks like I have a pretty decent chance of it being very LOW rust.

Today I got to do a lot more. I took out the car's original dash ,it was busted up from sun damage and PO's doing hack wiring jobs. the car came with another dash, which I think may be the exact same dash as the original one. Let me know if they are different as I will be trying to figure out a new way to do the wiring if so.

P2070011.jpg

This was what was behind the heater controls, a pretty big mess if I have ever seen one.

P2070012.jpg

Dash out.

P2070014.jpg

P2070015.jpg

Old dash, I can see why the car was not running. There were wires going everywhere, things spliced together in 2-3 different places with random switches and stuff thrown all through out entire dash wiring.

P2070017.jpg

P2070019.jpg

New dash, all the wires are still in what looks to be their factory places with the coating still around them. I think that these are the same time period dashes due to the similarities. It doesn't have the little cut out by the switch. Any chances that my original dash and the dash i bought with the car are the same??

Tomorrow I am stripping the rest of the plastics out and getting ready to pressure wash the inside to check the floorboards again for strength. I think they look great but the things that could reside under the dirt and grim are things I need to fix now.

This is my first build on a car. I have been dreaming about doing something like this for a long time. I really plan on it being a daily driver (I know, but I believe if you buy a car then what is the point of not enjoying it everyday) with AC for sure and fuel injection later on down the line. Luckily i have a pretty solid DD right now (1996 ford taurus ha ha) so transportation should be ok until i can get the Z running and road worthy.

little update but no pics right now.

got the remainder of the interior out (dog legs, rear quarter plastics, vinyl floor stuff around center console, etc) and pulling/covering everything else so i can pressure wash the inside of it clean (has typical grease and gunk everywhere on the inside) and spray jams (decided to keep the car white and just touch up where they didn't paint the first time) and engine bay as well. going to por 15 the interior and maybe some of the chassis as well.

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since I have updated but progress is finally happening.

The last month or so has been very busy with work and bad weather on the weekends doesn't help with progress.

The weekends prior to this I attempted to start it, turns out the carbs need rebuilding, but I am debating on a 4 barrel install or rebuilding the SUs. My dad has a friend at work who used to tinker with Z cars and knows SU carbs inside and out (he is also an MG guy as well) so I may have him rebuild the carbs.

This last weekend I went ahead and decided to pull the motor and trans out of the car. The weekend prior I dettached all the hoses, gas lines, etc so I could pull the engine and trans in a timely manner.

Hood off:

ZPics031.jpg

Engine out:

ZPics032.jpg

We had the motor out in about an hour maybe two hours tops. This wasn't my first engine removal but it was my first on a RWD car. It is a lot easier to work on a RWD car than a FWD car, espically this one. Everything went really smooth. I forgot to get pictures of the motor when I pulled it but I will take some next weekend. Next weekend I am planning on pressure washing the entire underside of the car and engine and trans, repaint block, and then a full gasket kit. Depending on the clutch condition I may replace it as well. After the engine bay drys I will be going over it with por15 to get the few rust spots there are. Things are coming together, as soon as it is running and moving on its own power I will be moving to suspension/brakes (new bushings, install aftermarket struts and springs (can't remember brand at the moment), maybe purchse a set of toyota 4x4 calipers and rebuild them and probably replace the rear drum stuff too (If I can't figure out a rear disc conversion by then, would rather go this route than using drums just for general looks and stoppping power, discs are far superior in my book) then I will be moving to the interior.

• 2 months later...

Wow how time flies when you are working full time ha ha.

Things have been very slow lately but good news and bad news.

The bad news first. The l28 that came in the car I thought would have good compression. Tried to pull compression numbers and the first 2 cylinders showed almost zero compression so no go on that motor.

The good news is that I am now changing direction with the car. I have decided to part the l28 out and build a SBC either 327 or 350. After some research I found that this is really what I should have been considering the whole time. The gas mileage will not be too bad (at least if i keep my foot out of it) and it will make the power I am wanting for a lot less $$$. I bought the JTR book (which, honestly other than the FSM, has been the best purchase of my Z career at the moment, I highly recommend this book if you are going to be doing a carb'd SBC swap and maybe even any v8 swap.

New plan:

Mild street build 327 or 350 (327 for revs, 350 for horses still debating) with a t56 trans behind it. I am hoping for a low 300whp car (and very, very possible with the 350). For now I will finish up the suspension/brakes and finish the interior work on the car and then the SBC build will began.