HybridZ

700 r4 install question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've got a 1980 280 zx with a 5 speed manual trans. My question is: When I do my conversion and install the 700 r4 trans, what linkage do I need to get? Datsun or GM? Is there going to be alot of center console changes needed?

Not sure about the ZX cars but I have had the best luck with an aftermarket shifter with a built in neutral saftey switch and a cable that way you will pass tech at the strip a bit easier. also it takes a bit of work to fit a switch to the 700 case. GM never put one there it can be done but you will have to open the case up and change the shifter rod a fab a bracket to hold the switch. Keith

I have another question to throw out there, pomnvpr. Maybe you have the answer to it. I've read lots about getting a "neutral safety switch", but nothing that directly addresses the question of backup lights. Is that handled by the same switch, or is there another switch internal to the transmission that takes care of that?

Just curious...