HybridZ

Transmission linkage

MetalThrashingMad

I recently bought a 71' Z and I have a question about the shift linkage (manual) I can shift into any gear, but the shift lever wiggles freely and feels like it's in neutral all the time. What should I pay mind to when I pull the motor/tranny? I've rebuilt automatic transmissions but I've never had a manual apart, so any details would be very helpful :icon53:

• Administrators

Shifter bushings. IF the later style, those bushings across the Nissan parts counter are under $10 and replaceable from inside the car. :2thumbs:

Do you know if your car has the early monkey motion shifter or the later version?

If you don't know the difference, remove the center console, the rubber shift boot, and take a picture of the shifter as it attaches to the trans and post it up, we will be bale to let you know.

This thread should also be of help with video, links to the bushings and prices;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=133265

Woohoo! I don't have to dismantle half the car? This makes me very happy sir :-D

Do you know if your car has the early monkey motion shifter or the later version?

If you don't know the difference, remove the center console, the rubber shift boot, and take a picture of the shifter as it attaches to the trans and post it up, we will be able to let you know.

The car is under 2 feet of snow under a tarp in the yard, I'll see if I can get in there tomorrow. Haha. Big thanks for all your help man.

• Administrators

Yeup, early Monkey motion style.

With it exposed as you have it in the picture, move the shifter around. If it is moves excessively in the cast piece, either your rubber bushings are worn out, gone, or the nut on the bottom is loose.

On the bottom of the shift lever will be the nut, in front of and underneath your index finger in the picture. Verify it is tight.

Hope that helps,

Paul

I actually mustered up some ambition and went out and troubleshot/fixed it today.

1) There is a pin with a C clip on the and and that pin was worn out, loose and too big for the hole. I got a bolt and some lock washers, double nutted it and tightened it to ♥♥♥♥. It's great now, hopefully it doesn't wear out or loosen up. It's all metal to metal and rather tight so I'm a little wary of it. This accounted for about 90% of the play I had.

2 and 3) There's 2 tapered rubber bushings in there that were worn out. I put a particular size rubber washer on the top bushing and tightened it up. Perfect.

linkagefixed.jpg

Conclusion: Washers fix everything :lol: