HybridZ

stay v8 s30 or go v8 z32??

hoov100

basically i am dealing with a restored rust free running and driving sbc 240z, that i want to put s13/z32 front spindles and coilovers, with a subbie rack, with a complete z32 rear subframe, then toss in a z32 dash, center console and door panels with seats, then cage the car. this is what i have planned for the chassis thus far.

now i was actually about to get another z32 before i found the v8 240z and saw the price, but i still have my z32 sitting next to the house with a blown motor, and considering all of the things i want to do to the car, it makes me wonder if i should just pull the driveline out of the 240z and toss in in the z32 and call it a day. but at the same time i have always loved driving the s30's and they are just a sweet car, but a bunch of little flaws in their design just add up to one huge mess, which the z32 fix's and then some.

my second option would be to just the the s30 all together and get an AWD rb26 and convert the z32 to AWD as it would be fairly strait forward, but the problem being is that the front diff sits a little far forward for my liking and i would have to build a custom radiator support and make a angled radiator setup.

my third option would be to LS2 the z32, which would again be fairly simple as i woud just fabricate the firewall and trans tunnel and set the motor back around 6-8 inches...

I have no idea what i want to do anymore, i want a sweet road racing z and to me putting all of the z32 stuff into the 240z would seem a little pointless as i could just simply drop the driveline into a z32 and call it a day and not have to worry about the chassis ripping itself apart or having to worry about driving wrecking it.

Anyone have some advice for a kid with too much time, creativity, thought process and money?:weird:

Well I can take the money off your hands, however I don't really have any use for your time, creativity or thought process.

Seriously though, a couple of people are starting to do the z32 V8 idea. Braap on this forum is doing LS route as are a couple of others. From what I have read of Braap's thread the LS is far from straight forward.

There is a guy on aus300zx.com doing vh45.

So obviously the V8 in the Z32 is doable, but maybe not as straight forward as you infer.

I wouldn't personally go rb26 gtr 4wd setup due to weight. Do you really want to make the z32 even heavier? R32 Gtr was 100kg heavier then the Gtst, not sure how much of that was the driveline, but my bet would be a decent amount.

What I think you have to do is decide what sort of car you want to drive.

The s30 is a light car with great feedback. Normally no modcons, generally will rattle and squeak, but is spirited, fun and involving (I always have both hands on my steering wheel). Not having the modcons also can make the s30 very simple electrical wise.

The z32 is heavier, less feedback, but with plenty of modcons. Easier to drive without thinking (Powersteering) but can still has spirit.

I have just realised whilst writing this that you will probably know all this as you have both cars. So I guess my advice is decide which type of car you want to have and then start thinking the modification possibilities. (Or take your third option but with no 4wd and do both cars ;)).

• Administrators
… i want to put s13/z32 front spindles and coilovers,…

The S-13 is strut front suspension, the Z-32 is a double A-arm front suspension, upper arm is above the front tire, similar to Honda double A-arm. As such, the S-13 and Z-32 front suspension are so different, you’ll have to use one or the other, you wont be able to combine them or use the Z-32 spindle upright with a strut without some serious fabrication.

…

now i was actually about to get another z32 before i found the v8 240z and saw the price, but i still have my z32 sitting next to the house with a blown motor, and considering all of the things i want to do to the car, it makes me wonder if i should just pull the driveline out of the 240z and toss in in the z32 and call it a day. but at the same time i have always loved driving the s30's and they are just a sweet car, but a bunch of little flaws in their design just add up to one huge mess, which the z32 fix's and then some….

The S-30 as far as a Hybrid is a NO BRIANER! Easy to do, easy to maintain, light weight, and even with its suspension compromises, is STILL chasing super cars with far superior suspension around the track and autocross courses of America and abroad, and even beating them at times.

From a full out performance standpoint, going into either using an alterative power plant such as a V-8 or RB, I’d say the Z-32 brings more flaws to the table than the S-30. From a cushy quiet daily commuter Cadillac/Infiniti Q-45 sort of ride, the Z-32 wins hands down over the S-30.

Lets look at the “design/architecture” of both. The S-30 is a much lighter more compact car, has 50-50 weight distribution with V-8 in the JTR posistion, and can even be rear weight biased depending on how creative you are with your V-8 conversion and materials used. With a V-8 sitting behind the Center Line of the front wheels, the S-30 has very low Polar Moment of inertia (dumbbell affect), which allows it to flick back and forth rather quickly in the transitional slalom type situations. For straight line performance with its short wheel base and closer to or beyond 50-50 weight distribution, the S-30 is able to get more weight transfer to the rear wheels for better bite than the Z-32 for a given tire compound, (also helps putting power down coming out the corner). The S-30 is FAR less complex in its electrical, braking, climate control systems, etc. Stock body for stock body the S-30 is a STIFFER chassis than the Z-32. Go stick a jack under the a T/C rod pick-up point up front and jack up the front of the Z-32 and note how RACKED the hood is once you get the front wheel in the air! I FREAKED the first time I saw that! The S-30 does not flex like that AT ALL!

The Z-32 is heavier, has more polar moment as the engine can’t be placed behind the front wheel centerline unless the 90% of the engine was “in” the cabin. The Z-32 is for more complex and the chassis, (at least forward of the firewall), is very flimsy!

And from a performance stand point, I am not sold on the rear suspension design. My Q-45 also has it and over bumps that allow the suspension to articulate quite a bit, the rear end moves and steers in ways that is VERY unnatural and if driving any where near the limit, is down right scary! As long as it is stiff, it seems to work, like semi-trailing, it works when the suspension doesn’t move! So does the chapman strut of the S-30. :wink:

My opinion is the Z-32 only improvement over the S-30 is comfy Cadillac ride in spirited GT car, and it has a modern super car visual aesthetic about it, where as the S-30 is raw, more race car, classic sports car appeal. On the track, dollar for dollar, an S-30 will trounce the Z-32. If you don’t molest the firewall of the Z-32, dollar for dollar, the Z-32 will be more livable on the street with its plush quietness, etc.

In short, if you want to chase down Vipers, C-5/C-6 Vettes, Porsches, etc, I say go S-30. If you want spirited manners in something you can live with on the street day in and day out without ultimate Porsche/Viper/Vette eating capability, then Z-32.

Now if you are plan to gut the Z-32, no interior, etc, full tilt race car, the Z-32 could be built comparable to the S-30, but will still give up weight distribution, polar moment of inertia, and weight to comparably built S-30. On the road course, you might not notice so much, but on an autocross track, those particular attributes is what helps keep the S-30 a super car killer!

The likes/dislikes of the Z-32 has some pics of the suspension design, etc.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=123262

… my second option would be to just the the s30 all together and get an AWD rb26 and convert the z32 to AWD as it would be fairly strait forward, but the problem being is that the front diff sits a little far forward for my liking and i would have to build a custom radiator support and make a angled radiator setup.

Now that’s a project! Radiator support/location will be the LEAST of your fabrication worries if you can get an engine and a diff to occupy the same space in the engine bay. AWD RB powered Z-32, I say go for it! :2thumbs:

hmm, braap is right. And i have always liked getting the response "you beet me with what?? and you built it that cheap????" :icon52: But i would do the AWD z32 for more of an awe inspiring swap, but fabrication is easy for me, maybe i should just toss a cage in the s30 and stick with the z32 suspension, i loved the way my z32 felt on a track, very nuetral and responsive and you could physically feel when the car was about to gooout from under you.

and this was my last project, that blew away everything except a new porsche 911 driven by a fellow racer, a built 96 impala SS that has everything except a cage and a Ferrari challenge strenali. this is what i am competing with, it was built for under $3k and in one month from start to finish.

DSC_3709-1.jpg

now its either gonna be multi link or floating 9" with 4 link and a panhard bard and some nice 10-12 inch slicks.