HybridZ

1/12 Datto 240ZG

stump

Hi everyone.:)

A little about me, and my hobby...

I'm an Aussie, LOVER of anything 240Z related....though not an owner I'm afraid.....:-(. I would jump at the chance to get my big bum into one...maybe at some later point in time......

I'm a middle aged petrolhead.....what's up wid dat....? :wink:

My passion for cars started at a very young age and never left.

It even got me started in my hobby at a tender age of 8-9.....that long ago I can't even remember....something about ol'timers disease....

The model kit below has been a "grail" of mine for as long as it's been around. Finally scored off ebay recently at a price which didn't need an overdraft..

I've loved the "long-nose" version forever.....I know it's not everyone's idea of kool, but life would be boring if we all liked the same thing, wouldn't it...

This build, may take as long...or longer than some of your magnificent 1:1 builds...I apologize in advance for that...I do work full-time, and only get an hour or so free time of an evening........sometimes.......:rolleyesg So progress may seem to stall at times.

Here's where I'm at so far.....

The kit.

112240ZG001-vi.jpg

The detail in these things is amazing....all the plug leads (with separate plugs) oil lines etc...working coil suspension, steerable wheels.....plus I hope to add a fair amount of extra details......

112240ZG005-vi.jpg

One of the first things I found out in the kit, it only has "stock" wheels....:-( I knew they were not going to cut it, not for me anyways......I hit all my local hobby shops, the net....looking for suitable wheels. I found some really nice HPI's in 1/10, but they would look like 22's on this.....Nope.! Not in my life time......

So, the model builder in me took over......I'll make my own.

I'm making Watanabe's, 16x8.5 and 16x9.5 and I'm also going to make my own tyres to suit.....Oh man, what have I got myself into.....

The wheels.

Rough first copy....

watanabe007-vi.jpg

The 16inch rims are from an old Porsche kit.....come in handy.

This group shot is all of the same centre, with both outer rims made up. I'm going to make a cast of the inner rim/centre, and separate outer rims, make it easy for painting....

newwheel-vi.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for stopping by...and shoot me any Q's you may have.

I may need to ask advise along the way, as I really want to make this one a stand out.....All help will be received with much appreciation.:)

All my other stuff is here...http://public.fotki.com/Greg5000/

The Datto is not far from the top...

Cheers

Greg