HybridZ

700R4 info

jasper

This is in Response to a PM I received. Since I can't answer all the questions, Maybe you guys could chime in.

"Since the 700 r4 is a good consideration for a daily driver...very good MPG on a cruise.

Please advise me of what vehicles it was used in so that I could go to the wrecking yard acting more intelligent...... I don't like to act stupid. I have no idea when it was sold and it what it was sold. .......They will ask, what kind of vehicle are you putting it in, and I will say a Z, and it will snowball from there. Am I talking Suburban, Caprice, Impala, you know the obvious stuff. Is it a 4 speed automatic?

THANKS"

LOTS OF INFO HERE

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml.

If you don't have the JTR manual....GET IT!

AND ALWAYS TRY SEARCH AND GOOGLE

The 700r4 came in about everything from like 1985. Almost any fullsize half ton 2wd truck had the 700r4, corvettes, caprice, impala, all fullsize gm with a v8. you just have to look. There are even some (rare, rare, rare) that came with the b.o.p. boltpattern, and universals. 2wd S10's with the 4.3 came with them, but do not have as many clutches in the clutch packs, so shouldnt go behind a v8 for towing purposes. I pulled a 700r4 out of an '85 fullsize 3/4 ton with the 305 in it. The 4wd transmissions need a tailhousing or adapter to use in a 2wd application. You really need to look to find one as they came under everything. Just check the pan of any fullsize g.m. car or truck, every junkyard has like 50 of them.

The 700r4 got a bad rap early on, but so did the th350 when it first came out. The 700r4 is a good trans that is no more expensive to build "hot" than any other trans. Corvette servos and valvebody kits and shift improver kits are available everywhere for a very reasonable price. On a side note, if you do find one of those b.o.p. or universal 700r4, I would gladly trade two chevy pattern 700r4's for it.

• 2 weeks later...

bowtieoverdrives has everything you'll need - no computer required - they can explain it - I built & installed the 700r4 myself - got the DVD - VERY helpful - don't forget the locking converter! and when you connect the cable to the carb - set it snug but not tight! - otherwise the tranny will not shift out of first

• 6 months later...

also don't forget the 700r4's cousin the 200r4. These transmissions came out of buicks and in the opinion of many GM guys is a better transmission and has better spaced gears.

also, for those of you who didn't know the 700r4 later became the 4l60 and eventually 4l60e. these transmission with the exception of minor changes are all the same unit.

if im not mistaken there torrent for a video which ATSG made regarding the workings, rebuild, and tricks to the 700r4. I also have pdf's of the service manuals if anyone is interested.

also, the 4l60e needs a controller to be able to use it.

not to mention the fact that later 4l's have a different input shaft because of the lsx motors. there may also be different connectors and internal wiring harnesses if im not mistaken.

• 4 weeks later...