HybridZ

My SC'd 2.8 stroker is one step closer

ezzzzzzz

What? A SC'd 2.8 stroker? It's actually a LD28 block and crank being converted to petrol using a P90 head. The block picture shows some of the water passages that need to be plugged. It's been about a year in actual production as parts and ideas have come together. I won't go into the details of block work but it is not like using your standard L6 block. Anyhow, the bulk of the work is done and I was waiting on Ron Iskendarian to regrind my P90 cam. It arrived today. The specs are asymmetrical 480/268in 490/276ex 112 lobe center. Notice how rapidly the lift is while it drops the valve back onto the seat with a gentle slope. This is smaller than many cams run here but it's for a SC'd application and intended as a spirited daily driver. At the rate I'm going it wil be 6 more months before I close to installing this engine. I'm throwing out a couple of photos.

001 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

002 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

003 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

DSC05347 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

I'd posted in earlier related posts about this. The SC is a Eaton M62 4th gen generic unit (not a GM or Ford model). I purchased an intake flange from Justin Olsen and it is the base for the SC setup. I'm having a plenum fabbed to mount the SC on the vertical where the stock air cleaner would normally be in my 240Z. There will be no intercooler. I plan to boost only in the 6-8 psi range. The bracket for the SC belt tensioner and the 6-rib crank pulley still needs to be fabbed. Hopefully, the long block will be complete within a couple of months and I can start on the ancillaries, brackets, etc. The most work so far involved the LD28 block. The are several water passages that needed to be plugged (requires external bypass for the WP), steam holes matching the block to the head, the oil gallery needed to be drilled for the center pick-up (and other holes associated with the front sump blocked off), drill hole for fresh air inlet for PCV system, bored to 85mm and normal block prep. The V07 crank was shortened 4mm at the flywheel (reduces harmonic issues) and rods/mains undercut 10 thou. L20B Rods were balanced and prepped. Custom JE pistons were ordered. Custom 12mm head studs are being produced by ARP. P90A mech head was ported, drilled to accept 12mm studs and given a valve job. The new ISKY springs/retainers/cam are being installed. Valve to piston clearances are next to be checked prior to final decking and flycutting to achieve minimal clearance of 25 thou or less and c.r. of about 8.5. The 240mm flywheel will be lightened to 16-18 pounds. The Euro damper and flywheel will be balanced with the crank. When the long block is complete I anticipate dropping in my L24 distributor and bolting on SU's to break the engine in. Once done, I'll replace the dizzy and SU's for the SC, fuel injection and SDS system. I hope to get about 275-300 hp out of this creation and still have a very streetable Z.