HybridZ

Stock rear diff strength???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello All

A buddy of mine just pulled in a 280z not sure of the year. Any way this is getting a 450hp/450tq 400 sbc, the plan is to pull the rear and fab a new setup for strength. But I thought I would ask what these rears will handle.(Just in case ;) ) It will be behind a 3,500/4,000 stall and on slicks this will be a drag only car.

They stand lots.My 406 makes 435 ftlbs at the wheels on the moter and 535 with a 100 shot of juice.It's the one wheel burnout's in the bleach box that kill the spider gear shaft.Put a posi in it or weld up the carrier. John C

Guest 240hybrid

I would consider 87-89 300zx LSD or 9in. ford solid rear end for drag. I'm not sure what a stock 280 diff. can take, but I would think it would come apart under repeated hard launching.

The differential can take lots of power, it's the u-joints that fail. Do a search and you will have tons of information on the R200 differential and what it can take. Heck, who was that... 1tuffZ or 1fastZ, or one heck of a Z, but he had his Z in the 9's on the stock IRS.

If it's going to be a drag only car, I would consider a solid rear end for more reasons than just the u-joints though.

!M!

Guest Anonymous

Well the Quafie or whatever would be great I honestly believe that all concern should first be put towards the puney ass stock axles, upgrading to 280ZXT or 300ZXT CV's will help a lot. But I still believe the ZXT's CV's will still break before the stock R200 internals. twak.gif