HybridZ

3.0L vs V8

Guest larkja

Stock LSD will take 300 ponies no biggie. So long as driveline angles are good the Us ought to hold at that level. Heck, I'm looking to push 425+ through that same setup icon_smile.gif

Big brakes, mild to wild, we've got it all going on here. www.fonebooth.com is where I'm sourcing my BIG brakes but there are other sources and options too. Pick a budget and away you go icon_smile.gif

Another variable that gets lost on some people is the "character" of the engine, that is what the torque vs rpm curve looks like. This is what I think makes the V8 solution really shine ON THE STREET. To me, an excellent street machine (read Pro Touring type car) has a broad torque band over a band from ~2000 (or lower) to 6000+ rpm. Numbers like 350-400 ft-lb of torque or more over that range makes for an incredible street machine. Having to rev to 3500+ to make decent torque is plain annoying on the street, IMO.

If you're into drag racing, there are all kinds of engines to do well here, from a gas turbine to a mega-inch twin-turbo Big Block. The torque band can be horrible below ~3500 and it won't really matter! Examples of great engines for a quick Z are ones like the Grand National Turbo V6 motor - Scottie's GNZ WILL be in the 10s this Summer with his GNZ. And he can pull down 20+mpg with the same car!

The choice of engine for a street use car must really consider where the torque will be supplied in the rpm range that's reasonable on the street. It can be done easily with lots of cubic inches and not quite as easily with turbos or superchargers. But it can be done. I'd venture to say that building a 3 liter motor with no lag from 2000 rpm up and making 400 hp is not just a bolt in affair. But to do that with a 5.7L motor that's normally aspirated is darned simple. And to me, that's what a great street engine should run like.

Guest needwaymorespeed

Im an avid fan of the small block chevy,thats what im doing and i Know I wont have any regrets,BUT

I recently had the cahnce to drive a 240 z with a roebello in it WOW was I ever impressed this thig barely idles so I thought it would be real tempermental ,it wasnt it was surprisingly very streetable and very fast get those r's turning and watch out. it reminded me alot of a friends old BOSS 302 but with more bottom end!

I hated the zcars straight 6 till I had this opportunity. BUT I also cant wait to get my chevy small block z done and spank this car silly!!

Curtis

But what are the street manners? The goals of a street beast are much different than those of a drag car. A really tweaked peaky drag car is no fun on the street, IMO. 12.88s are definitely faster than most cars out on the street, but I want the ability to do it quicker later on once I get used to a mild V8.

I can't say I really know Norms car that well, but as far as I know its his daily driver as well. From the article posted on zdriver.com a few months ago it sounds like its not bad on the street! Remember though his times are due to slicks and 6000rpm launches at the track. Not really the kind of thing you do on the street. icon_smile.gif

82 turbo engine has a stock torque peak of 200ft-lbs at 2800rpm. Unfortunately I haven't driven one yet. icon_rolleyes.gif I would like to think that in a 2400lbs car that would be sufficient.... But more torque is just a twist away. icon_smile.gif