HybridZ

SR20DET powered 510, FUN FUN FUN!!!!

BRAAP

• Administrators

I think a small handful of you probably know about RTz’s, (Ron Tyler) 510 project. Ron has owned this little 2 door 510 for some time. Bought it at the Canby Datsun show a few years back, still had the L-16, SSS Su’s. He did a little suspension work, S-130 strut upgrade, etc. The L-16 had just enough power to get the 510 out of its own way, barely! We constantly were razzing him about his “little car that might”! He drives it everywhere, rain or shine, even 18” of snow, there goes Ron in his little putt-putt... I was pretty sure our 33” class A motor home would be a good match for it up to 45-50 MPH, we never did race, but it would’ve been close. laugh.gif

Any how, the L-16 was getting tired and he fell into an incredible deal on a SR20DET that was just pulled from a 510! He pulled his 510 in the shop and over the last coupe/few weeks he got busy, yanked the L-16, prepped the engine bay, fuel tank mods, radiator and core support mods, mounts, etc. Just last weekend he fired it up for the first time and been driving all week working out the kinks. Tonight I wanted to make a “soda” run wink.gif so Ron volunteered to drive up and let me drive back, in the dime! On the ride up he pointed out the little things he is till working on such as couple exhaust rattles, thermostat seems to hold open allowing the engine to run around 140 degrees instead of warming up to 180, though will warm up to 180 when playing, clutch pedal to release ratio, (VERY abrupt), etc. Just little stuff really. On the way back I drove! :D This little car is transformed! Instead of having to rev the bejeezers out of the engine to get going, it just smoothly pulls up to speed, no fuss no muss. Pulls hills in 5th gear that the L-16 would struggle to hold steady RPM at WOT in 3rd! When playing, boost builds QUICK! Once you pass the boost threshold RPM, lag is almost non existent! Boost recovery between shifts is “right now!” Power is smooth and manageable, not explosive! Right now its not what our V-8 Z cars were acceleration wise, though once he gets a few of the kinks worked out, it very well could be a 12 second ride! It's easily a low 14 car right now, possibly quicker!

At this point in the debugging phase, "the little car that might" is now "the little car that will" and is way friggin fun to drive. Once sorted out, will be an absolute blast as a daily driver! :2thumbs:

:burnout:

:burnout:

• Administrators
The L-16 had just enough power to get the 510 out of its own way, barely!

I think that's an exaggeration. It took 4 gears and 48 seconds to get to 30mph :lmao:

We constantly were razzing him about his “little car that might”! He drives it everywhere, rain or shine, even 18” of snow, there goes Ron in his little putt-putt...

Pretty much. Been driving it nearly every day for 4 years. Practical? Yup. Fun? NO.

Tonight I wanted to make a “soda” run wink.gif

Well, we did get soda too :wink:

This little car is transformed! Instead of having to rev the bejeezers out of the engine to get going, it just smoothly pulls up to speed, no fuss no muss. Pulls hills in 5th gear that the L-16 would struggle to hold steady RPM at WOT in 3rd!

Yup. It's no V8 but its not bashful about grunting up hills in high gear.

When playing, boost builds QUICK! Once you pass the boost threshold RPM, lag is almost non existent! Boost recovery between shifts is “right now!” Power is smooth and manageable, not explosive!

This is the best part. Boost is early, strong, and responsive. Powerband is broad and tractable.

Right now its not what our V-8 Z cars were acceleration wise, though once he gets a few of the kinks worked out, it very well could be a 12 second ride! It's easily a low 14 car right now, possibly quicker!

Just a guess, but I'm pretty certain it could sneak in a high 13 second pass as it sits. One of the 'blems' Braap is referring to is boost fall-off at high RPM. I'm loosing about 1/3 of my boost by ~6k. I'm inclined to think its the exhaust. Over the next couple weeks I'll do some pressure testing...

So far, I'm really pleased with the outcome. The SR/510 marriage seems as befitting as the SBC does the S30. A few tweeks/refinements and the package should be very respectable.

So that's where he got his motor.

Actually, I bought the drivetrain from Neal Bibbler on Michael Spreadbury's recommend. Less than 25K miles and very smooth.

Oh, any pictures from either of you two?

I'll post up a members project thread with some picts. Meantime, let me know if you need anything.

• Administrators
Ive got the 2 door shell just waiting for the sr swap too.Gotta finish some other things first, but its comin..

I seem to remember you toying with an SR powered pick-up... how did that turn out?

• Administrators
Ron,

Are you running the T25 or T28 turbo?

Hi Ken, Still the stock T25 ('98 S14 Black Top). The exhaust manny is a log style Mckinney Motorsports model, with external wastegate conversion (Tial). Post turbo is 2 1/4" expanding to 2 1/2" at around 6". 2 1/2" rest of the way, through a single Borla muffler. It's *almost* factory car quiet. At this point I'm guessing this is the choke point.

Ron, my son lost interest and hasnt touched it in almost a year. I keep flashing him a wad of money in hopes of buying it off him but he wont bite.Its such a shame too, the motor is in place, it just needs everything else hooked up. Not to mention, its taking up space in my shop. I get pissed every time I think about so Ive just put the blinders on and plug away on the RB swap.

• Administrators

How much boost are you trying to maintain?

12psi

Ill have to take a peek at the dime if im out that way

You're welcome to.

Ron, my son lost interest and hasnt touched it in almost a year. I keep flashing him a wad of money in hopes of buying it off him but he wont bite.Its such a shame too, the motor is in place, it just needs everything else hooked up. Not to mention, its taking up space in my shop. I get pissed every time I think about so Ive just put the blinders on and plug away on the RB swap.

Kids :rolleyesg

• 3 weeks later...