HybridZ

steed tri-ax shifter

Guest De Schmaydee

I tried a Steeda in a 99 Cobra I think it was. It worked alright. Much better than stock. If you are really looking for a nice piece get the Pro 5.0 shifter. My dad put it in his 03 Cobra and it works awesome. Definitely smoother and quicker than the Steeda IMHO. Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Guest De Schmaydee

..i'm looking at the pro 5.0 also....its all steel (from what i can tell) and i like that...also looking at the hurst a lot of people really like them too...but i'm not sure which one they are talking about....s

Get on any mustang board and ask. The resounding opinion is Pro 5.0. I have one on my Tremec and I like it. The centering springs are a bit stiff, but my short handle has something to do with how that feels. The springs are just little coil springs that you could probably change out with something from McMaster Carr if you wanted.

Guest De Schmaydee

.....yeah pete...i remember you saying in one of your posts ....i think it was jeffp's tko thang...that your shifter really helped a whole lot taking the knotchiness out of the tremmec...or something....but i didnt remember which shifter it was.....are they (the pro5.0)made out of (mostly) steel...as opposed to aluminium....of course i'm not gonna be doing much/any drag racing....i just want something that shifts quickly and accurately while i'm going around real curvey roads..and not being any better driver than i am ,i was hoping it would help me w/my "missing the $#%^$@# gear problem"....

....and i heard the stops in 'em could help me to keep from messing up my T5 too....

these are the two i'm looking at:

http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/triaxshifter.htm

and

http://www.fourvalve.com/product.asp?3=35

......s

The Pro 5.0 shifter body that bolts to the case

is Billet AL. Plenty tough - it's a thick piece.

The rest of the shifter (ring, all moving parts) are steel.

I never even bothered trying the OE Tremec shifter. It didn't have stops, so I figured a good shifter was worth not breaking the shift forks in this expensive tranny.

Pete, forgive my ignorance, but do you know if a Mustang shifter will work on the Camaro T5? I know that Mustang shifters work on Datsun T5s, and that your Tremec is a 'Ford' transmission with mods to work on a SBC, but I'm just curious...

Davy

Guest De Schmaydee

pete..is yours a tko?.....i just saw a place..that had (used)3/3550 and 2-3 3560? (i think)for $150ea they werent tko's (prbly were leftover after somebody got a tko)and i didnt think about it...they sold new ones too.....i was looking for shifters...if i can find it again i'll send you a link...if you wish and could use one of 'em.....s

Davy: A T-5 shifter is a T-5 shifter. The only difference is the handle that bolts to it. The shifter is the part that bolts to the top of the case. So I think any T=5 shifter will work on any T-5. Across the Ford and Chevy T-5's there should be no difference.

De Schmaydee: Be careful. There are MANY different "tremec" trannies. Jeeps have had many different models, ranging in numbers of gears, ratios, strength, etc. Get with Bob and Hanlon Motorsports, etc. to find out what's what. BTW, mine's a measely TR-3550, like the Cobra R 95 stang had in it, only converted to GM use by Darkhorse performance. I should have gone with a TKO!

Guest De Schmaydee

....speak of the devil....my used bw-t5 i had put in 2-3 weeks ago has gone to hell...or at least it sure sounds like it....i know a lot of people are gonna tell me theyve had 'em for 700,000 miles drag racing everyday and they are great....from the limited experience i've had w/'em...they are absolute junk....just wish there was something else.......s