HybridZ

HELP 87 300ZX Turbo LSD diff issue in 240Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Guys: I know there is a TON of info on the website here about swapping in the 1987-1989 "Turbo" LSD diff in a 240. I DID read them, but some of it is still confusing to me. What has happened is I found a used 87' Turbo diff I want to buy, and it is still in the wasted car so whatever I need at this point can be had off the car, IF I act now! Anyway, the deal I made was to also include (besides the "pumpkin" itself) the 2 "half shafts" with the CV joints, and I also asked for the part of the driveshaft that faces the diff, the knuckle end/spline thing of the driveshaft only. Have a forgot anything? MY Z already has a non-LSD or "NORMAL" R200 mounted in there, so that I hope is a plus and will make this easier. But should I ask for anything else off this car that I have overlooked that I will need to get? I need to resolve this before the car gets picked clean or crushed! Last question guys: he claims it shoudl be just fine, car had 95K miles....but how do I determine if it's a good unit or not when it arrives? I am in Michigan under a foot of snow, so my actual install will be in the spring long after the "warrenty" is over! Is there a way to tell if there are "pinion bearing problems" (something I heard might be an issue)? I also heard with age one od the sides "clutches" might age more than the other, causing it to chirp around corners if one side grabbed more than the other. Is there anyway to tell if this is going to be a problem? THANKS!!! AS ALWAYS, I AM THANKFULL FOR ANY RESPONSE, EVEN IF JUST IN PART!

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I'd love new diff guts! But it might be out of reach. This is $275 and shipping, something I can at least try, but if it's bad I can't afford that either *(gulp)

Guest 240hybrid

As of recently you can use the 300zx CV's. Tomahawk told me to talk to modern-motorsports.com, and Ross Corrigan, owner said that he just started producing 300zx CV adapter flanges, taken that you supply 280 stub axles for the adapter to weld to. He's machining me a pair now. Their not listed on his page, I emailed a request for adapters for the 300zx type cvs along with a photo to make sure he knew what I wanted to use.

Guest tom sixbey

Forget the halfshafts - they wont work. The only thing off of that 87 that you can use is the differential itself. You'll need to get a 280z moustache bar and the 280z differential stub axles (the parts that stick into the sides of the differential with the axleshaft bolt flange mating surface). You can also reuse your 240z driveshaft and u-joint axleshafts (at least temporarily) Make sure you also have a useable r200 front mount (or insulator).

BTW if this is a 1970 240z that you are modifiying, you will need to attain a later model drifeshaft and possibly later model axleshafts, because the differentials were positioned farther forward in 70.

Overall the swap isnt too hard. I did mine in 2 days working on and off. Compressing the 280z moustach bar requires a lot of effort, but otherwise it was pretty simple. When it comes to CV axles - check out pete paraska's web site.. I havent attempted that swap yet..

Guest tom sixbey

as for the condition of that diff - check the oil plug in the back. if you pull it out and the oil plug has metallic sludge all over it, then forget it. otherwise, you'll just have to drive it and see. If it clunks sharply under accelleration/deceleration and your front mount is good - then there is too much endplay between the ring and pinion. If it grinds while turning or whines and grinds excessively, then it needs to be rebuilt (OR LUBRICATED!!!) Unfortunately a differential is something you just have to "test and see". dont be scared by a little bit of noise, because that is common in zcars... Another thing to consider is that your LSD clutches might be burned out. If that thing has 95K on the life clock then there might not even be a point in it. I just got a 87 non turbo r200, and i'm going to put a fresh LSD in it - that saves me the guesswork and insures me a fresh LSD.... good luck to you!

Guest shortyz

anyone have a trick to compressing that moustache bar? god dam it was a bitch to put in the z.

putting in another r200 mines whooped!

and also. what is a good bushing kit for the bar and rear drivetrain?

(sorry for hijacking the thread haha) frown.gif