HybridZ

Has anyone kludged a diff mount?

RPMS

I kept the original mount in place and fabbed a second stronger mount using the back set of diff holes just behind front mounts.

7/16" thick aluminum plate with 5/16" steel loop run thru the back diff mount holes and bracketed to plate which inturn is mounted to the rear cross member.

She no breaky now!!

Mike

Guest silverbullet
Originally posted by John Scott:

:eek: Where did your info come from? Maybe I"ll figure out some reinforcment.

John

If I remember correctly and I could very well be wrong(and I probably am bonk.gif )it was either on hybridZ or another Zcar site, very sorry I can't pin it down more for you.

Guest Philanthr0py

Duct tape solves everything! maybe some chewing gum or super glue? Or some tie wraps? wrap the differential with some toilet paper and electrical tape to reduce clunking. hahaha sorry, i'm really bored right now...

I have one you can have.... If you can find a way to get it to Dallas from Houston.....BTW when you get one make a strap ala JTR to keep it from over extending...... Been there broke that....

in the mean time make a spacer between the bottom of the rubber and the mount then take a small ratchet strap and strap the nose of the diff to the crossmember....this will get you by without that thump you are hearing how and get the pinion back close to where it was.....

Ray, you da man! I'm trying to get down to Houston anyway to visit some other friends, so keep that puppy safe until I get there. smile.gif

Over the weekend I got bored and pulled the broken mount loose. For those of you who have never seen one, a cross section of the two halves of the mount fit together like two large iron C's with rubber between the two parts. The inside part has a stud pressed into it and bolts to the differential support. The outside part bolts to the differential itself. As you can tell, if there's a lot of stress put on the differential, the rubber in the mount will rip apart.

What I did was to press out the threaded stud from the inside piece, and run a bolt through the two pieces. The outer piece already has a hole in the appropriate location, so no drilling was necessary. If you're feeling spunky, you can tack weld the bolt in place so it won't rotate when you try to affix the mount to the support. The toughest part of the whole operation was getting the thing back on the car! There's VERY little room on the top of the diff to get the nuts started onto the bolts. My fingertips could juuuuust touch the nuts and washers enough to push them into place (with a lot of colorful language!) but spinning them onto the threads was an adventure! I'm not sure how I did it. I think fervent prayer won out...

So what difference did it make? For the first time since I got the car, the clunk is GONE! Shifting is now smooth and positive, with no kick in the butt accompanying each shift. Yes, it's noisier under hard acceleration, but not intolerably so. Not something I'd be happy to live with long term in a daily driver, but acceptable until I can get to Houston and pick up the replacement from Ray. It doesn't seem to whine, but I've only had it up to about 40mph, and that might change once I get it on the freeway. Maybe tonight will be dry enough to try!

Thanks for the ideas, thanks for the support, and most of all, thanks, Ray, for the replacement mount! 2thumbs.gif