HybridZ

T-5 Tranny "Set Back"

My 74 Z was converted to a SBC 350 with the NordSkog kit from the mid-80s. This kit is simliar in style to the Scarab with the distributor forward of the firewall by about 4-5 inches.

Currently the car has a TH350 which I want to change over to a WC T-5. I've read through a number of posts (as well as the JTR manual) stating that the shifter will come up through the tunnel too far forward of the console hole.

Since the car is already running as is, i'm looking for options to "set back" the shifter by three to four inches to get it in the right place. I did read another posting about a guy who had a "set back plate" to make a Muncie four speed work on his Scarab car. I'm not sure what something like that looks like.

Am I wrong in assuming that I can have a special shifter stick fabricated with an S-bend to permit it to come up in the right spot? The other option, of course, would be to pull the console completely but i'm trying to keep the interior reasonably stock looking.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Wheelman - i've been considering it. The concern I have are the "hidden" costs; the little knick-knack items that I might need to go JTR versus running what I have right now.

I've never had a part fabbed in my life so I don't have any idea what kind of cost would be invovled. More importantly, I don't know if it would even work or not.

4 or 5 inches is a lot to tweak a shifter. especially one like a T5, one that comes out of the top of the transmission. I would guess 2 inches offset would be about max to make an S shaped shifter.

the 4 speed muncie uses a side mounted shifter linkage, so moving that shifter back is much easier. Just lengthen the linkage arms and make a new mounting plate.

I say, move the engine back for the T5. When it is done, you will be much happier with the T5 for daily driving as compared to the thm350.

4 or 5 inches is a lot to tweak a shifter. especially one like a T5, one that comes out of the top of the transmission. I would guess 2 inches offset would be about max to make an S shaped shifter.

the 4 speed muncie uses a side mounted shifter linkage, so moving that shifter back is much easier. Just lengthen the linkage arms and make a new mounting plate.

I say, move the engine back for the T5. When it is done, you will be much happier with the T5 for daily driving as compared to the thm350.

I second these comments form Pyro.

The best solution for you would be to get an engine and trans mounting kit that would move set back the enging as far back to the firewall as possible.

I started my SBCZ with a scarab kit and a 4 speed manual, and had to extend the shifer linkage and lengthen the mounting plate.

Over the years, we continued to move the engine back, and now it is closer to the JTR position, maybe an inch or so forward.

Am currently running a T-5 WC, and needed to modify the shifter in order to make the stick come out of the stock shifter position in the console.

I think we had to offset the shifter less than an inch to do this; also everything fits extremely tight to keep the stock console and switches.

If you keep your engine in the current position, a modified "s" shape shifter will not work with the T-5 as Pyro noted; the shifter angle will be too radical.

If you go with the 4 speed manual swap, the longer linkage and mounting plate will work but you may run into clearance problems with the shifter against the tunnel.

Use a Hurst super shifter or any other shifter that uses straight shifting arms, as this would be the most simple to modify.

Good luck.

Ever seen a Viper shifter? It's got some crazy bends to move the handle forward and towards the driver, their engine & T56 is really set back.

bm4.jpg

There are aftermarket shifter reloaction kits, I'm not sure if you can hide these under the console...

but, I don't think I could convert the mounts, wiring, hard lines, exhaust, and driveshaft to JTR for under $200.

10450lg.jpg

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/product.php?productid=2444&cat=0&page=1

billet2.jpg

http://www.autoworksparts.com/billet_shifter_relocation_kit.htm