HybridZ

Another Distributor Wiring Problem

I have 2 clipped wires here i can't trace(1 green; and 1 black w/ yellow stipe), nor reference in any of my available wiring diagrams, but one I believe goes to the dizzy, seeming how as i have no spark. They both come form the bundle of wiring that lead to the coolant temp sensor wires. Help! where do they go??

img013_thumb.jpg

img014_thumb.jpg

Okay, on my '72 the green went to one side of the ballast resistor while the black w/ white stripe went to the other end of it.

My wiring diagrams seem to show them just fine.

These wires are the other end of those, they're already hooked into the ballast, and it's not a white stripe, it's a yellow one.

My computer is having some virus problems, so I've uninstalled all PDF readers and I'm looking at the '72 diagram on another computer.

Black with white goes to positive post on coil

Green with white goes to one end of the ballast resistor. The other side of the ballast resistor looks like it connects to a different black with white wire.

Black wire goes from the negative post on the coil to the distributor body.

Those are all of the connections it shows for the coil, dizzy and resistor.

Let me see if I can find a '73 diagram and find out if its any different.

Another quick question: is it an auto or manual transmission equipped car? The autos had dual points distributors.

I was going to try that as well, but the autozone site is down right now for maintenance. I've got all of the FSMs but they are in PDF format, so I'm not of much help right now.

Wait, I've got access to Mitchell1's Premier Club vintage section. Hee hee. Looks like the auto trans equipped cars had an extra temp switch and relay, just like what was being discussed in another thread today.

Looks like a red w/ black wire, black, black, green, black w/ white and another green wire are all involved with those two components.

Also, are we sure its a black w/ yellow striped wire we're dealing with and not just a dirty black w/ white striped wire. I've seen them turn yellow over time, but once you clean them off they aren't yellow anymore.

I feel dumb, they're like phantom wires that go nowhere, I have no spark. . . It is a yellow stripe, I thought it was a dirty white stripe, but it IS really yellow, thats whats throwing me off. . . it's a '73 BTW, in case the wiring is different