HybridZ

R160 differential

Guest fly yellow

Yup. There is some debate about the long term strength of the R160 behind an L6 but you can put it in and run it until it breaks (if it ever does.) I think for a street Z it should be fine. If you drag or roadrace it then you might run into strength issues.

Originally posted by Mat73GNZ:

The R160 has come up a number of times, but I can't remember if anyone actually used one in thier Z.

!M!

Been there, broke that. On the street with mild motors the Nissan R160's usually last a good while. Not however under AutoX or ITS racing. For a 4.11 or 3.90 we always use the R180 from the front of the 4wd Nissan trucks.

hey everyone,

at the risk of losing a potential parts monopoly, I have been running the !@#$ out of an LSD R-160 I snached from a Boobaru tongue.gif for 3 years now with (knock on wood) no problems. Couldn't afford the quafe, like some other guys from Brea (poke poke) so I took a risk. I autoX and road race my car semi regularly. So if you can find the LSD unit out of a Subaru I bet it will be OK!! As for the standard open units, I wouldn't know, but I don't think they are as Beefy spider geer wise.

Good luck kid, happy hunting!!

Wow, I didn't know John was Brea-ees for Jed Clampitt!! bonk.gif I forgot to mention that the Subaru LSDs are usually 3.70 (at least mine is) and coupled with a ZX 5-speed gives worse ratios than the "BSP legal" 3.54 with a b-box 4 speed (Mr. Sedan drivin, soon to be street mod, but know body can remember what his car looks like) nono.gif Hee Hee

Furthermore I've got a friend who has been running a 3.9 open R160 for months with no problem and to say he is BURNOUT HAPPY with his big cam high compression triple Webber monster is an understatement!!

So I agree with John, given the diff is in good shape a street Z should be no issue. If you want to get REALLY technical about it, I'd say that the R160 should be able to handle up to 180hp at the wheel all day long!!

Happy Hunting......

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

First of all, thanks fr all the great advise !!

This is a truly wonderful forum.

Now for the question:

I took the Subaru R160 out of my 240Z last week and am concerned about the stub shafts in the diff. The subaru has screw in, splined end stubs that I swapped out with the stubs from my old R180. The R180 stubs bolt right in but, I found two problems with this:

1. The splines on the subaru carier are slightly different than the Nissan R180 resulting in backlash in the R180 stub shafts when used in the R160 diff.

2. Also, the R180 stubs are longer so the dust cover sticks out away from the side of the diff.

I am going to get some stubs from an R160 (ah la 510) and see if they fit better.....

I still have the original subaru stubs and they fit MUCH better than the R180 stubs. I was looking at making flanges to be welded onto the Subaru stubs.

Anyone got any Ideas??