HybridZ

Physical differences between 4 & 5 speed?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I worked on a friends Z over the weekend...He had a 5 speed [he thought] 280Z that he wanted in his daily driver 240...Both were the same length and obviously fit in the 240..And guess what? The new tranny is a four speed also...

Does anyone have a side by side pic of the four speed vs. five speed trannies?

There is very little physical difference between the two - I have both in my garage and can provide comparative pics later this morning. My '76 came with a 4 speed, and I have not cleaned it up so the pics will show it with all the applicable road grime. My 5 speed is being rebuilt so the internals are out, but I can show the nicest looking case you've ever seen!

Of course, the easiest way to determine a 4 or 5 speed is to run it through the gears! 4 + reverse is a 4 speed.......5 + reverse = 5 speed

In addition, the shift rod in my 4 speed has an access cover on the case just forward of the shifter - the 5 speed does not.

Be aware there is also a difference in length - and thus the driveshaft length is different - search the site as this has been covered many times ...

I was able to take only one pic before my camera batt died - more to folow if necessary.....

17147660.jpg

or

web page

the 4 speed on the left is a genuine '76....the 5 speed on the right is from an unknown year unfortunately (anyone able to ID it?)

As I mentioned above, the 4 speed has a completely different rear case - the 5 speed is taller with a smaller diameter at the output shaft, and the 4 speed has a removable cover over the shift rod. Hope this helps.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info and pics...I should have researched this better....What's the length difference in between the 2 trannies? I will search for the info as well...