HybridZ

Please HELP ME!!!

80LS1T

I just got a R200 from a 82 ZXT with 3.545 gears in it. I have a R180 with 3.9 gears in my 80' ZX right now. What I want to know is do the halfshafts fit and if so how? Cause my R180 has a plate of some sort on the differental that holds in the half shafts the R200 doesn't...so how do they stay in???? :confused:

Thanks a lot!

Guy :D

Guest greimann

***correction, see response two posts down ****

You are going to need the u-joint style half shafts from a '79+ with an R200. The R180 half shafts have a different slide yolk. The turbos have a CV style half shaft that could be used but you will need to send your compainion flanges to Ross C. so he can weld up adapters.

Guest Anonymous

GUY: A more knowledgeable 280ZX member like "Greimann" or others can answer your question.....the half shafts should interchange from a 280 ZX/R180 diff to a 280 ZXT/R200 diff. The half shafts are held in place by circle clips in the diff. Yank the half shafts out..do not pry out and risk damaging the diff seals. The passenger side half shaft is slightly shorter so do not mix them up.The R200 most likely had CV joint half shafts and your present R180 maybe equipped with u-jointed half shafts but still should interchange

Guest greimann

After re-reading your post and looking at the Haynes Manual, the differential with a 3.9 ratio IS an R200. So both of your diffs are R200's if they are physically the same size. If the 3.54 is smaller in size, then it is an R180.

At any rate, you should be able to remove the flange yoke from the R200 by prying on it with a large screw driver or pry bar. It will pop right out.

Guest greimann

The yoke in an R180 is bolted in and looks like a standard slip yoke. The R200 has a flange yoke and is held in by spring clips. It prys out. Page 180 in the Haynes Manual. Very handy reference if you don't have one yet. Picture:

yokes.jpg

Guest Anonymous

By looking at the diagram.. I would start looking for some R200 half shafts. BTW I copied the diagram for future reference.These Z cars have a lot of differences here is a source where you can purchse interchange manuals. Everyone needs them web page pertains to mostly body parts though

Hey guys,

At the risk of thread stealing,

I'm looking at using the 4.11 R180 out of a 200SX. It has clip in diff stubs with CV half shafts that are too long for a 240. Were any of the 280ZXs fitted with an R180 rear and if so, did it have clip in diff stubs??

Also for the benefit of this thread, will the companion flange off the 200SX fit the 240 or 280Z stub axle?? if so, you may be able to junk yard find the whole setup without having to find a ZXturbo.

BTW how accessible/common are the LSDs out of the 240SX???

Guest Anonymous

You should be able to fit the CV joint half shafts from a R 200/280ZX with clip in diff stubs to the 200 SX R180 diff (which could possibly be a R200 diff) The cv joints should fit the 240 stub axle but an adapter from Ross Corrigan web page is needed for the 280Z stub axle

Guest greimann

That sounds like you have the hardware issue covered. The R200 CV joint stub axles just snap into the differential and are held in place with spring clips that reside in the groove of the stub axle. The stub axles in your old R180 have a bolt that holds them in as shown in the diagram above and the two systems are not interchangable.

Just so I have it straight, please review again what rear end you had originally, what does the differential yoke look like, what rear end are you installing and why. All the discussion above has me confused.

bonk.gif

Ok heres the deal...

I have a R180 with 3.545 gears

I am putting in an 82' R200 with 3.545 gears and doing the CV swap too

The reason for the swap is because I am using a 93' LT1 and I building up to about 400-450HP so I figure the R180 wont hold that for too long before it goes.

Thanks for all the help!

Guy