HybridZ

ACT clutch?

fl327

looking at clutches, mine is giving me hints that if turn up the juice, she gonna fail me.

looking at act clutches right now, anyone have any experience with them? ive heard mixed reactions with centerforce, never had one, but i heard they are pretty good from some people and bad from some others. always been a fan of really stiff clutch feeling and solid engagement,

four or six puck fellas??

also wondering if i have to install a new pilot bearing as well? man...

I'm using a clutch from Clutch Specialties - it uses ACT's heaviest pressure plate, and an sprung center, iron friction disk. Rated for 500 lb ft, and engages very smoothly - no chatter. You need the 240mm flywheel for this, BTW.

With any of the Datsun transmissions and high torque, it's a pretty good idea to keep shock loads down as much as possible, so I didn't want to go with a solid hub.

It's pretty expensive, though (~$500).

I found a pretty good deal on ACT's called Foreign Auto Tech in Millbrae, off El Camino Real 650 589-3100

I agree with Tim... :D

I am running the same ACT set up on my ZXT as TimZ... but, on my 225mm flywheel. $320 out the door. I love it!!! Sorry, no more puck style for me after all the chattering and the very short life span of 1500-2500 miles, only to have my aluminum flywheel damaged that needed to be resurfaced due to the scaring it caused. GRRRR...

Donna

thanx guys, im ten minutes away from millbrae ill give them a call, this clutch of mine isnt gonna like 14 lbs of big turbo and hook im sure, man i miss my old v8 clutch, it was a high performance option clutch for ss396 camaros-that thing engaged visciously and hard no matter what i did to it.

Guest De Schmaydee

....kinda depends....how much more hp do you think you'll go for?...is it just for race or do you drive it around.....there are "side effects" that come along w/those 6puck racing clutches that may not be desirable for a daily driver....where your @ now (@12psi) i think a cfdf clutch (or the equivalent) would be a good choice...and help you retain the drivability on the street....most of the guys that dont like 'em (that really had 'em) either get to or have over 300-350rwhp and the cfdf clutch doent seem to be good for that much power (drag racing)....

.....i'd put in a new throw-out,pilot,have the flywheel turned and replace the seals on the tranny and the motor too if it hasnt been done.....hell,you'll have it all apart ..sure would be a bitch having a rear seal go bad all over that new clutch.......s

I'll tell you what, I went with the street modified clutch from Act and I've been real happy with it, and its great for the street. My buddy with his turbocharged integra runs the 4 puck clutch and he says it gets a little tricky in stop and go traffic sometimes. It's up to you, but with the boost you plan on running, I's think even the street modified would be a good enough clutch for you...I think I paid just over $300 from nipponpower.com for mine. By the way, Mine holds great and I'm running 18-20psi out of the turbo.

Guest JAMIE T

Stay away from CF-DF clutches. They pretty much suck. And, always follow the manufacturers recommended break-in period. I just got a SPEC clutch for my Z28. SPEC Stage 3 and an aluminum flywheel to be exact. Do a search on the web fopr SPEC, or Star clutches. They have great customer service, and about 7 differant clutches for just about every app. I think my stage 3 is good for 575hp. The recommended break-in is 400 miles, city driven'