HybridZ

Stupid shifter/ignition switch question

silicone boy

I just pulled the engine/tranny from my Z. The tranny is a 700R4. Upon removing the shifter, I noticed that one of the wires going to one of the switches that keeps the car from starting in gear was disconnected (no wonder it wouldn't start). Anyway, that's irrelevent. My question is, I'm converting to a T56, so I don't need those switches anymore, do I? Do I just short them out, or splice the wires? It seems self evident, but I've never done this before, and I wouldn't want to put the transmission in and find I couldn't start the care cause I didn't hook something up in a hard to reach location. Thanks.

Hey, this brings back a memory... didn't a member here about a year or more ago send his Z through his shed or fence, because he started his car with the clutch out and forgot it was in gear? Turns out he never hooked up that switch to the clutch pedal. Pretty funny :D .

!M!

Guest Anonymous

Somewhere along the trail my old automatic silver Z decided to begin starting in any gear position about the same time the solenoid began refusing to co-operate when I was in the saddle. I was parked downtown near the courthouse and upon my return, the solenoid was not co-operating. I opened the hood and arced the sucker with a screw driver and all hell broke loose.She was in drive and headed forward. I began to run around the back of the car to reach the driver's door which was on the curb side when I decided to grab the rear bumper and just stop the car with my bare hands. A real good idea in a PANIC! I refused to let go and the car pulled me. I dug in my heels only to find myself being pulled not on my heels but on my rump.Bang the Z hit the car parked in front and bounced backwards placing me half under the Z. Without much hesitation, the old Z was headed for another bumper encounter with intent to do great bodily harm. I managed to get on my feet as the old girl came bouncing backwards almost knocking me down again. I was painfully aware that the situation was escalating and the pace was picking up since the old wild cat was hitting harder and bouncing further back each time giving herself a longer run at the new car parked in front. I saw an opening and rushed to the side walk to watch her now hit the car parked in back and catapualt off that encounter with re-newed energy to savagely assault the car in front with increased vigor. Dumbfounded, I started yelling, "STOP" but the old girl was so angry assaulting the two cars she didn't hear master calling. What was worse , she was now moving the forward car with each attack. Without being religious, I made the sign of the cross and tried to get in pace with her travel and open the door. I could not do it on the side walk risking my lower limbs between the curb and the raging Z When an opening presented itself at the rear, I crossed over and got to the street side and tried to get in step with the to and fro momentum to open the door. I dove in, but the next crash momemtarily stunned me. Next thing I knew, she was at rest idling peacefully. I stuck my head up and peered around. Thank the stars ..no crowd! I non-chalantly went to the front and finished closing the hood and inspected for damage without being too noticeable without cflaiming ownership of the offending vehicle. "Never saw that car in my life" There was not any damage. Same for the rear car. I rested for awhile to calm my nerves and drove away. I fixed things on that old war horse that did not even need fixing for the next two days. Silicone Boy if she had a V8, the only thing that would have stopped her was the Pacific Ocean

Thanks for the warning. That was hilarious. I thought those safety switches were for sissies (remember the scene in Blackhawk Down when the Ranger commander chastises the Delta guy for not having his gun on safety and the Delta guy shows him his index finger and says: "this is my safety", well that's how I felt). I'll put a switch on my clutch pedal after all.