HybridZ

Transmission probs...

Guest Pegasus76

Guest Pegasus76

Sorry. It's a T-5 camaro transmission (manual) it makes a whining noise as well...Could it be low fluid? NOt sure if the clutch it slipping but if I am on the highway in 5th gear and I give it gas the rpms rise then go back down then the car goes.

Guest greimann

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if a transmission is making unusual noises, the damage is done. It is probably a bearing with damaged rolling elements. You should be using ATF in that T5 and not gear oil, in case you are changing fluid.

Ditto on the slippage. Time for a new clutch.

The whining noise could mean it's low on gear oil. I would start by checking the oil level. It could just be wear and tear on synchros, etc.

The slipping is most likely a worn-out clutch. You might be able to adjust it out, but you're probably due to change it out soon. Do you know how many miles are on the clutch/tranny?

Guest De Schmaydee

....i agree w/g ...(good to see the dawg back)...are you sure about the "camaro" thang...they wont usually fit unless you have a v-8......usually we have a borg-warner 5 spd (or a nissan)

...but it sounds like your clutch is slipping....the noise doesnt have anything to do w/the slip...its just a bad sign that somethings gone wrong w/the drive train..........s

Guest Pegasus76

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to buy my friend's clutch. He had recently wrecked the front end of his car :( He is bummed about that but atleast he is alive. He is parting out all the good parts in his car and he has a performance clutch. (86 Camaro) Again thanks guys, and I have a 350 SBC Schmaydee...