HybridZ

700r transmission- advice

Guest monteg

Guest monteg

I have a friend that has giving me an early model 700r4 trans (1984). Reading the JTR manual, it says to shy away from the earlier 700r4 transmissions.

Other than the sprag change in the 86' and later models,is there, that many changes in the later model transmissions. I am speaking of the 86'to 90', before the electronic models.

Would you guys recommend the rebuild of the trans. or pass on it and keep looking for a later model 700r4. And yes, I am definitely going with the automatic trans.

Thanks for any advice on this subject!

Guest Anonymous

How do yo know that you are not passing upon an updated and rebuilt 700R4 ? Does this tranny have a history? Take the thing... you may need it to trial fit and install your V8 and tranny mounts.It may be a good tranny And it may be a quick core sale (at least $30.00) down the road to some transmission shop. Back in 1984 GM had a lot of problems with the 700R4.That was about 20 years ago. In 1955 they had a lot of problems with the the small block chevy

Guest monteg

Larry,

My problem is that the trans is at my parents house in Miss. My father has a friend that works for a GM dealership that would rebuild the trans for little to nothing. But, I don't want to have it rebuilt if it is a 1984(and not worth rebuilding) and I am just wasting my time and his.

Thanks

Monte