HybridZ

Got a 76 280z Have a few questions..

Alright guys, so my girlfriend picked up a 76 280z and I do have a few questions about it.

First and foremost it feels like it has a 4 speed transmission.

It is somewhat hard to shift, and the shifter is very loose, so might there be any fixes for that.

As said it feels like a 4 speed, reason is, It will go into 1,2,3,4 and reverse, and then when i try to go to where 5th would be it dosent even feel like theres a notch for it to slide into 5th.

SO cliffs for that first part =P

- Did this particular year Z come in a 4 speed manual?

- Shifting is very hard, possible synchros?

- Shifter is very loose any possible fixes?

Next off

There is a rather large clunk sound coming from the right rear side of the car when going over the reflectors on the freeway so around 60-70 mph, are there any possible causes for this? and yes all the tires are inflated properly =P

and that's about it... so any help is appreciated guys and here's a terrible cell phone pic of her car!

beebscar.jpg

- Did this particular year Z come in a 4 speed manual?

Yes.

- Shifting is very hard, possible synchros?

Change the fluid and fix the shifter first.

- Shifter is very loose any possible fixes?

Search "Shifter Bushing"

There is a rather large clunk sound coming from the right rear side of the car when going over the reflectors on the freeway so around 60-70 mph, are there any possible causes for this? and yes all the tires are inflated properly

Check the control arm bushings, gland nut, anti-roll bar end links, wheel nuts, e-brake cable, rear brakes, insulator mount, and go buy a shop manual for the car.

Yes.

Change the fluid and fix the shifter first.

Search "Shifter Bushing"

Check the control arm bushings, gland nut, anti-roll bar end links, wheel nuts, e-brake cable, rear brakes, insulator mount, and go buy a shop manual for the car.

Thank you much sir, I actually got in contact with the old owner and yes it is a 4 speed manual, guess the shift knob was just lying to me =P.

As soon as I get a chance to get the car over to my house I was going to pop it up in the air and just start checking things, so thanks for the tips on where to check, and the car came with a shop manual so I think I should be set to go =]

Thanks again!