HybridZ

280 A/C in a 240

I have a complete and functioning (until dismantling) '78 280z A/C system in my garage shelf, about the only thing I would have to buy would be a new dryer/filter ($40.00).

My question is: is it possible to install it on a '73 240?, has anyone done it and how hard is it.

Examining the evaporator unit I dont think it would be too hard to eliminate the 280 control panel to make it connect to the 240 ventilation controls. I know about Vintage Air but would like very much to use that money on my engine or suspension.

Well, the compressor, (rotary type) which is the item more prone to wear, is less than two years old and its up to specs, condensers and evaporators are just heat exchangers they either work (don't leak) or not (leaking), put in a new filter/dryer in the line and maybe an expansion valve and that system is as good as any new one and in essence very much like the one on my '04 Titan on any 2009 car.

Incidentally this particular 280 system had been running on R12 up until 2 years when the 30 year old compressor finally gave up and was replaced converted to R134 refrigerant.

I would have loved to see that in my wife's 2007 POS Focus with a "modern A/C", I mean ALL major components have been replaced in two years, no wonder they are broke...but that is a whole other thread.