HybridZ

HELP!!! Need taller gears sbc350turbo350 76z

i would go 5 spd manual. automatics suck in a z.

QUOTE]

I dont' agree with this statement either. For one thing sticks can't handle that much TQ' date=' about 600 lb-ft max using the TKO trans, otherwise its about 300 to 400lb ft. Auto's can handle that and alot more. On a cost basis the manual trans is going to cost alot by the time you get a flywheel, clutch, scattershield, etc. and the overdrive auto is costly as well so it is a toss up IMO if your anywhere near 400 to 500lb-ft of TQ. If he were to get a 3.15 or even in the 3.30 range it will drop his rpm by about 500 to 250 rpm at cruising speed respectively. So 2500 rpm at cruising is alot better than 3000. Gear vendors overdrive units are big $$$ too.

As for being doggy in the first two gears, then it seems obious that the engine is underpowered and/or the stall speed in the converter is too low, especially in a light z.[/quote']

Agree but it just seems like less of s job to do the gears than to drop the tranny well thanks

Guys,

I've done the 700-R4, 200-4R, and the Gear Vendor's OD behind a TH400. Both of the OD transmissions can be built by the aftermarket to handle higher HP & torque, but they are both limited in stock form, and they aren't cheap when built right. The TH400 plus the Gear Vendor's OD is an indestructible combination, but the GV adds 13 inches to the tranmission and replaces the tail shaft, so it's about 8" longer overall. With the extra length, fitting it a Z would be very tight (I haven't done that). My TH400 will easily handle 800 HP and the GV OD is rated at 1100 HP out-of-the-box. The GV OD costs about $2100 and a rebuilt TH400 is about $500. In my opinion, the peace of mind is worth it over the 700-R4 or 200-4R "IF" it fits in a Z. BTW they also make a GV OD that bolts up to the TH350 for about $2200 if your TH350 is still in good shape.

If you want the convenience and strength of an automatic that retains some of the fun of a manual without the clutch, it can't be beat. It has an auto-mode which only engages the GV after the first three shifts on the TH400, and a manual mode that lets you shift through six speeds: 1st, 1st-OD, 2nd, 2nd-OD, Drive, & OD as if you have a close ratio manual box. Mine has a .68 OD gear, but I think they offer others.

Just some food for thought to give you a few options to consider.

Steve