HybridZ

I caved, bought a heater

janaka

Well I bought my Z in 2006 from a great guy in Florida who forgot to mention there was no functioning heater in the car. Doesn't matter much to a Floridian, however to a Canadian thats a big thing.

Since then I have done lots to the car but never put a functioning heater into the car. Yes this made some trips in the rain a little, ummm, interesting. That said my wife can clear a windshield with the best of them now ;)

Today I figured I'd resolve that problem. I went to summitracing and purchased a Mojave universal, auxiliary heater. I don't have it yet but my plan is to mount it under the dash and just hook up the windshield ducting to it. The primary use will be defrosting (the old blower didn't even switch to the defrost setting, making it TOTALLY useless) but will give sufficient heat to make the cabin comfy in the cooler mornings that either my wife or I will be driving. Since she takes it to work a few days a week and she leaves early it'll be a nice ammenity for her, I can deal with a cool jaunt personally ;)

Since I'm not using the stock vents I've created a new panel that will house my stereo, a volt gauge and my shift light in its place. Looks pretty good thus far, just need to get a finish applied to it to make it match the dash a little more.

Will post pics later when I get something more accomplished.

Cheers

I am in the process of wiring my car now, and I have the Flex a lite heater as well. I am trying to decide how I will mount it under the dash. I have flipped it over on both sides, and have found that one way of mounting will allow you to run your water hoses direct through the stock heater hose location with firewall grommets. The only issue is the defroster cover only has a hole on one side to connect a defrost hose, so I am searching for "y" ducting or a flexible "T" ducting. I have nothing written in stone, so I want to see how you do yours.

Well mine finally arrived.

I did not buy the "plenum" that bolts on to it as I don't plan on ducting in the dash vents at all. I'll just "Y" or "T" them to the unit itself (I'll probably build a plenum myself out of something for them to attach to).

I, too, am looking to reuse the stock connections at the firewall and the rest will be K.I.S.S. ;)

• 3 months later...

Well I'm not going to lie its still sitting in a box on the shelf in the garage. With having sold my house my garage space is limited where I'm living now and this has just taken a back burner for the summer. Once our new house is built I'll get on this though. Promise.